The Air That I Breathe

*Mature content warning lol*

Also, be sure to check if you've read the previous update since it was posted recently! ❤️ -TMM
______________________________

"This is going to sting." Brian warned me.

We were both sat atop his bed at his apartment. The rest of his roommates would still be in Brighton for the rest of the week- likely hopping from club to club and getting tanner by the day. I was laying down on my stomach while Brian changed my bandage. He put a bit of hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and very gently blotted the surface of my cut. I could hear bubbles sizzling as the wound reacted to the stuff. I winced and pushed my face into his pillow. His bed smelled like him. So did the big comfy shirt he'd lended me. That, combined with the careful touch of his hands on the back of my legs comforted me through the burn.

When he had yet again come to my rescue the previous night, I'd gotten blood all over the seat and floor in his car. I felt awfully guilty about it, but he assured me that the only thing he was worried about was my well-being. I had spent the night, and he told me I could stay with him as long as I wanted. He played slow guitar songs for me until I fell asleep. When I woke up, I was glad to be in his arms, because the sadness hit me right away. I cried a lot that morning.

I was lucky that I didn't need stitches. The cut had stopped bleeding after a while, and through the night it had already started to close up a bit. I'd probably get a nasty scar from it, but it was well worth getting out of that house when I did.

I wondered when I'd see my parents again. Realistically, I'd need to go back for some of my things soon, but the thought of returning even for a second made me ill. They were probably losing their minds over the fact I'd left in the night without telling them. I wondered if they were searching for me. I didn't want them to find me.

"I'm sorry I couldn't tell you." Brian apologized while he stuck a new bandage on me. "I wanted to, believe me. He said they weren't ready for you to know about it yet, and I didn't want to do anything that'd upset them after they only just started to let us be together."

I turned my head to the side so I'd be able to speak. "It's okay, Brian. I'm not upset with you."

He nodded sympathetically, running his fingers over my calves with light, fluttery swipes. It tickled in a lovely way. I closed my eyes, feeling relaxed. "I wonder what she's like."

Brian hummed. "She's probably a lot like you, just more American."

"I hope she has a happy life." I murmured. Sleepiness was creeping up on me again. Brian curled up beside me, and I nuzzled my forehead into his chin.

"Are you happy Nancy?" He asked, before rethinking himself. "That's probably a silly question considering what just happened to you."

"I'm always happy when I'm with you." I answered, truly meaning it. I felt the skin of his chin stretch as he smiled.

Sometime later, I woke up from my nap. It took me a moment to realize where I was. When I did, it was bittersweet. So many terrible things had happened, but at least I was here. I wandered out into the other room, and found Brian reading a book in the only proper chair they had. He looked up from it when he saw me. "I didn't want to wake you. Figured you needed the rest."

I leaned against the doorframe to take the weight off of my leg- it was sore. "That's okay. Hey, is it alright if I use your shower? I feel sort of gross."