Take The Long Way Home

"Come on Nance! Please?" Diana pleads, making my anxiety grow to an overwhelming extent.

The show had ended, and the members of Queen retreated off somewhere, and of course Diana wants nothing more than to go find that "somewhere" so she can talk to Roger.

"They've probably left the campus already, Di." I reason.

In a perfect world, I'd take Diana up on her offer. However, my parents will become suspicious if our fake "youth group" carries on too long, and I need extra time to change back into an unassuming outfit before I get home.

Also, as much as my parents scare me, the prospect of coming face-to-face with Brian again petrifies me even more. It was one thing to admire him from afar, but seeing him up close after watching him play would be too much to handle.

"Look, I just want to get his phone number, and I swear we'll leave after that." Diana pouts.

"You promise?" Diana knows I have no backbone, so she owes me big if I agree to this.

Her eyes light up at the first sign of my broken resolve, and before I know it she's shouting- "Yes, yes, yes I promise!" And pulling me by my arm toward the makeshift "stage" Queen had performed on. There was a door off to the right which we had watched them leave through, so we followed behind, not so hot on their trail.

That door led us to another empty hallway, which made Diana audibly groan. I suppose she suspected they'd be right behind the first door waiting to greet us after we burst through.

"Well there's no telling where they went." I smiled out of sheer relief. "I guess we'd better head home no-"

"Shh!" Diana held her polished finger over my lips. With furrowed brows, she listened intently to a few muffled voices coming from one of the rooms in the hallway. Within seconds, she was off to find the room the band had gone off to, the click-clack of her platform heels filling the hall.

"I mean there's no telling if that's them, it could be someone here studying, and we wouldn't want to bug anyone!" I try desperately to sway her to no avail. She walked briskly, still clutching my arm as she made her way to the voices.

Diana stopped short in front of a door, which seemed to be the one. She looked at me with the wildest, most mischievous grin on her face just before she planted a few knocks on said door. The voices came to a halt, and there was a frantic rustle inside the room before someone finally popped their head out.

I think Diana and I were both a bit relieved when we saw Roger's face appear in the doorway. His big blue eyes took their time to process the scene in front of him before his face gave in to a giant grin.

"I knew you'd come find me." Roger smirks at Diana.

"You did, did you?" Diana flirts, flipping her silky hair over her shoulder.

Roger kept his face sandwiched between the cracked open door and the doorframe while they exchanged a few more heated lines to each other, all the while I hung back awkwardly, praying the guitarist had already gone home.

"Oh I'm sorry," Roger cackles after a bit. "I should invite you both in." He then swung open the door, revealing a large classroom full of musical equipment, and the rest of his band mates mulling around.

To my dismay, Brian was still in the building.

Diana wasted no time stepping inside with them. Since I saw no other option, I followed behind her. The room had an odd smell to it, sort of like incense, or one of those clove cigarettes Diana likes. Brian was busy packing up with John, and Freddie was relaxing on the floor with his eyes trained toward the ceiling.