13. D.H. - Christmas, pt. 2

Start from the beginning

I face the woman, and my eyes widen at the sight of a familiar face, way back from my childhood days. "Y/N?" I say, grinning. "Hey, oh my God, it's been so long."

"Oh my God, Damien Haas!" she exclaims, wrapping her arms around me in a greeting. "I never thought I'd see you again here in Atlanta. How have you been? Who's this handsome one with you? And... I'm sorry, but isn't that my bottle of wine?"

Too many questions at once, but I was sort of in awe at seeing this girl I only used to see after school in the afternoons. Her house used to be three houses apart ours, and I remember having a crush on her since forever. She moved to a farther part of Georgia after a while, and when I moved to LA, that's when Mom told me that she had moved back. I remember going to her house a few Christmases back, because my mom would ask me to help her with giving gifts to the neighbors. And somehow, everything that I felt for this girl, even though they were just tiny feelings of affection, started to resurface.

"Hi," I mumble, blinking twice and not knowing what else to say. "Uh... this is Carter, my sister's nephew. Carter, this is Y/N, she lives in the neighborhood."

"Hello, Miss Y/N," Carter politely greets her, shaking her hand. "Did you and Uncle Damien ever date?"

"No!" I exclaim, perhaps a little too loudly and quickly. "We never dated. She just... lives here. Yeah. She does. You do, right, Y/N?"

"Actually, I'm just here for the holidays," she answers, chuckling. "I'm based in San Francisco, so going home was so hectic. You work in Burbank, right?"

"Yep, just your usual LA business."

She nods her head before sighing. "Well, too bad you have my wine. I had it reserved for a week now too."

"You can take it," I assure her, handing it to her. "I can buy another one. I mean, not this exact wine, but just another $15 one. It's cool, it's fine."

"Uncle Damien, do you like Miss Y/N?" Carter suddenly asks, making us both look awkwardly at each other. "You're giving her the wine."

I was in a bit of a pinch there. Y/N steps back for a moment, crossing her arms and waiting for an answer with a sly smirk on her face. I say casually, "Of course, I like her. She's a nice person, and nice people are meant to be liked, the way I like you, Carter."

"No, no, ew," he remarks, laughing. "Do you like like her?"

"Oh my God, why am I here?" Johnny grumbles before Y/N shushes him. "I'll just go see if there's a new stock of that wine. This is too awkward for me."

When Johnny leaves, Y/N could only chuckle at me. "Well, Carter, even if your Uncle Damien did like like me, we probably wouldn't work out," she tells him. "I used to have a big crush on him before though, and I knew back then that it wasn't going to work because he's just too crazy talented for me."

"What?" I ask her, raising an eyebrow. "You used to... like like me? Back in grade school?"

"Oh, Damien," she says, paying for the new bottle Johnny brings out. "I'm pretty sure 60% of our campus liked you back then, and you rejected all of them."

"I rejected no one. Except when it came to trading Pokémon cards. I keep them with me, ya know."

"Yeah, but it would have been cute if you dated someone back then," she replies, laughing as we walk out of the wine shop, with Carter holding onto my hand. "Everyone was half in love with you. Dunno why though."

"No way."

"I don't lie in front of kids," she tells me as Carter holds her hand too. "And besides, I still think you're pretty cute, so maybe..."