PART ONE - chapter thirteen

chapter thirteen — a confession 

  Gwyn stood outside the Salvatore residence with apprehension thick on her expression. She stared at the doorknob for a few minutes, unsure if she should open the door and enter whatever was waiting for her inside. She knew Damon was there. She couldn't mistake his obnoxious voice from inside. She wasn't sure if she was prepared enough to see him. As much as she feigned an emotionless facade, she couldn't deny the heartbreak that she endured as she realized Damon had completely eradicated everything they had constructed together for months for another woman he had been obsessed over. She didn't know why she was surprised. It had always been Katherine since the beginning. That was the whole reason why she even returned to Mystic Falls.

As she contemplated whether she should leave, the heavy wooden door swung open, revealing a shocked Damon Salvatore. "Gwyn," He breathed out, processing the spectacle of her standing outside his door. He didn't think she would show. He had heard her shallow breathing from outside and immediately rushed to the door. She wasn't obligated to make an appearance. If he hadn't made a careless mistake, he knew she would've been there for him, but things were different now. She wasn't there for him anymore. "You made it."

She rolled her brown eyes with disdain, within seconds the facade was back and she simply pushed him aside and entered the residence. "Fuck off." Was all she said as she walked further into the quarters. Alaric was beside the fireplace while Stefan and Elena were beside one another. Elena drank from a small white mug as Stefan rubbed her knee soothingly. The sight was enough to make Gwyn uncomfortable. "Alright, why am I here?" She didn't sit down despite the wordless offer from Stefan. She was uncomfortable with the atmosphere, the hushed thoughts lingering in the air as they all eyed her with knowing gazes.

Stefan attempted to conceal the glossy pity in his eyes as he took in Gwyn's appearance. She looked the same, but her eyes glimmered with a detectable sorrow. "We were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family," Stefan explained.

Gwyn, although easily detected the overwhelming sympathy that radiated from Stefan, appreciated his futile attempts. He knew she didn't want pity. "Why would I know anything about the Lockwood family?" She asked, unsure.

Damon perched himself on the antique couch's armrest beside Elena. "Well, you wouldn't, but those memories from your dead ancestors might." He spoke hesitantly, uncertain if he should be speaking to her at all.

As soon as the words fell from his lips, she immediately glared at him. Her gaze was thick with burning rage, acrid like green poison. Simply hearing his voice was enough to have her blood bubbling. Elena noticed the tension between them and leaned forward, settling her mug down on the coffee table. "Damon explained you have your ancestor's memories inside your head?" She asked gently.

Gwyn removed her burning gaze away from him and eyed Elena with a much softer approach. "Sometimes I get glimpses of memories, like flashes, but if you want me to access something specific, I'm going to need to concentrate. I can't guarantee I'll have anything. My family and ancestors aren't from here. We came here in the eighteenth-century."