PART ONE - chapter six

chapter six — bloodlines 

      Gwyn looked at the illuminated screen with a sullen dislike. Her thumb hovered over the small green button as the phone vibrated on the palm of her hand. Damon's name flashed on the screen and she contemplated dismissing the phone call. She was slightly nervous. Considering the possibility of him calling to violently threaten her father made her uneasy. With unsteady hands, she answered the phone. "Gwyn," Damon's voice sounded relieved, almost as if he didn't expect her to answer. "Remember Logan Fell?"

      She knew he was some form of an extremely minor celebrity in the small town and him unexpectedly hindering their scheme when he arrived with the compass. She glanced outside the window of her bedroom; nightfall had arrived sooner than she had expected and she could feel a chilling breeze. Wrapping herself with her cardigan, she nodded. "Yeah, Scumfell with the compass, right?"

      Leaves crunching could be heard from his side of the speaker and owls hooting. "Well, the douchebag was turned and killed a bunch of people," Gwyn straightened, her grasp on her phone tightened. "He told me there was another way to open the tomb. We were going to meet up but someone killed him. The sheriff just called me." Gwyn pondered on the thought. Could there be another way? The necklace was completely destroyed. What was she missing?

      She swung her legs over the side of her mattress, shuffling her shoes on while she grabbed her keys from her nightstand. She stopped, wondering if she was really going to go back to helping Damon, then she remembered her father. She really couldn't catch a break. "Alright, I'll meet you at the church."

      Driving through the desolate streets of Mystic Falls when the moonlight was thick and when the stars twinkled like crystals were like a refreshing intake of air. Soundless and care-free. Gwyn tapped her fingers on the steering wheel to the sound of her music. The thoroughfare was surrounded by grasslands and the edge of the forest, it was almost ominous. As she made a smooth turn, an alarming figure appeared right in the center of the road. Gwyn gasped as the person collided with her windshield, resulting in her losing control of her vehicle. The car swerved and tumbled onto the side of the road. Glass shards slashed her skin and her head was slammed onto the steering wheel. Her car's roof was pressed against the asphalt; completely disfigured and unrepairable.

      Gwyn reluctantly opened her eyes as the erratic movement ceased. She released a shaky breath, trembling hands caressing the interior of her car in disbelief. She couldn't even process the events that just occurred. Everything had happened so quickly. Someone had intentionally stood on the road. Craning her neck to the side, the figure that emerged from nothingness laid across the road—mutilated until their arm suddenly shot out and the other, snapping back each limb into place again. She watched with a horrified expression as the person, which she could see was a man, stood on their feet unfazed and charged towards her with determination. She struggled to release her seatbelt but it wouldn't budge. But the thumping of her head made it nearly impossible to focus. She couldn't think over the ringing of her ears and pounding spreading from her temples. Gwyn raised her shaking hand and erupted a large blast of psychic energy; the trees and foliage surrounding the area forcefully swayed back from the eruption and the man was hurled back far enough that Gwyn could barely discern his facial features.