PART ONE - chapter eleven

chapter eleven — star-crossed lovers

      "Damon," Alaric said, "Thanks for coming." Gwyn hurriedly centralized her concentration on the impeding shadow appearing from the doorway. She was across the classroom, admiring the serenity of the sunlight that streamed inside from the smudged glass window. She supposed she was also relishing the minute of distraction. The moment he stepped inside the classroom, he was overwhelmed with the severity suffusing the room, but there was Gwyn, basking in the golden sunbeams with burning concern and hatred etched on her expression. It was an odd sight to see her with anything other than placid disinterest.

      Then her eyes connected with his, an electric coldness exchanged between them. Her eyes were warm and her gaze was knife-like. His gaze softened upon landing on her and she noticed, so she promptly looked away. "Sorry, I'm late. The dog ate my..." Damon trailed off after he sensed everyone's unamused energies. Elena's blank stare burned into the painted brick wall, troubled and thick with undeniable dread. "What's with all the furrowed brows?"

      Alaric stood beside him, expression mirroring Elena's. "I saw Isobel last night." Damon's eyes widened as he processed the inclemency of his words. They had spent so much time searching for her and she decided to appear from the shadows?

      "Isobel's here in town?" Alaric wordlessly nodded and Damon immediately glanced down where Elena was. He was concerned for his friend, who didn't seem to be anywhere close to remaining calm. "Did you ask her about Uncle John? Are they working together?"

      Alaric's eyes were glossy, haunted. "No."

      "No, they're not?"

      "No, I didn't ask."

      Damon inched forward and Gwyn could see the tension rolling off of him in maroon waves. "What about the invention?" Alaric shook his head. "Does she know about the tomb vampires?" And when Alaric shook his head once again, Damon was across from him with an angered look. "Did words completely escape you?"

       Alaric threateningly brought himself closer. "I was a little too distracted by my dead vampire wife to ask any questions."

      Although disappointed, Damon understood. "What did she want?" He asked with a sigh.

      Elena shifted uncomfortably. "She wants to see me, Damon." He wasn't expecting that answer and he couldn't rack his thoughts on any possibility on why she decided now was the time to properly meet her daughter. There had to be an ulterior motive.

      Gwyn's attention remained focused on the chirping of a bird outside the classroom. "Van Helsing here is supposed to arrange a meeting," She spoke, her voice filling the room like a wind chime. "We don't know why or what she wants." Damon could hear the frustration clear in her voice.

      "You don't have to see her if you don't want to," Damon said caringly to Elena and this made Stefan uneased. He knew they had become friends despite all he had done to her, and what she had done to him, but he wasn't sure if he trusted Damon enough to believe he could actually care about Elena.