PART ONE - chapter fourteen

chapter fourteen — a bloodied mess 

Gwyn eyed the Mystic Falls Historical Society Volunteer Day poster with a jaded gaze, disregarding Carol Lockwood's distant voice as she spoke with feigned refinement. The Fell family had donated an awfully generous amount of money for the community to construct a park, therefore the entire vicinity was suffused with families and overwhelming auras. She focused her attention on the smaller details of the area like the faint breeze soaring through the trees or the softness of the exposed earth, even the small splashes from the stream in the distance. Much to her dismay, she strolled beside Stefan Salvatore at a controlled pace.

"Why are we always cleaning up after your moronic brother," She questioned aloud, warily eyeing the moving figure of Mason Lockwood. She was entirely bothered to discover Damon attempted to carelessly kill Mason. So, of course, she had no other choice other than to demolish this incoming dispute. Normally, she wouldn't have cared, but they didn't exactly know what they were dealing with when it included Mason.

Stefan didn't answer as they approached Mason, who seemed displeased with their presence already. "Stefan, right," Mason asked, setting a box down. "The other Salvatore."

"The nice one," Stefan said, his voice neutral. "The one offering an apology."

Mason shook his head. "Not interested." Was all he said, peeved.

Gwyn rolled her eyes. "Look, Damon is an absolute moron. I think we can both agree on that, but if this whole bullshit continues, someone innocent is gonna get hurt. Think of your family and friends here, Mason. I doubt you want any harm brought to them, so let's just stop the alpha male fighting thing and call a truce."

He pointed a finger at her face. "I made that same offer to him. He turned it down. With a knife."

She pushed his hand away from her. "That was a mistake," She said with a tight-lipped smile, "Stefan and I are here to ensure neither of you make any more mistakes."

Mason grabbed his box and stepped away, disinterested. "Tell Damon to watch his back." As he walked away, Stefan latched onto his bicep, preventing him from continuing forward.

"Well, I'm guessing that he only has to worry about that on a full moon. Otherwise, you're not as strong. Am I right? Or you would have killed Damon by now." Mason didn't speak, which only confirmed their theory, but there was evident frustration swirling around in his gaze. "There's one of you. There are three of us. I think you're the one who needs to watch their back."

Mason sighed heavily. "If he comes at me—"

Stefan extended his arm outward in a friendly manner. "He won't." Reluctantly, Mason accepted the gesture before stepping away and turning his back toward them.

Gwyn contained her relieved sigh as she watched him stroll away, but her satisfaction was short-lived as she recognized Damon's presence suddenly appeared beside her and Stefan. "What are you doing?" Damon inquired.