PART ONE - chapter two

chapter two — power isn't something to fear

( "Always search for magic. It's hidden in the smallest things: In flowers, in books, in the sunlight, in clouds, in blossoming trees, in bird's song. It's everywhere, we just don't see it. " ) — Esthetique on Tumblr

      Gwyn Desdemona glanced at the sunbeams pouring into the bedroom windowsills with a sense of soft admiration. Stefan's room was warm with sulking emotions and as colorful as a gloomy fall night. She released a slow breath as she watched Stefan whimper and squirm beneath his sheets, amused by his lack of a psychic shield and how seamless it was for her to insert herself inside his weak mind. She was conscious of how much her magical abilities exhibited a forcefulness in a marked degree and as she effortlessly planted a simple nightmare into Stefan's mind, she became aware of how much Stefan needed to consume human blood. He was never going to survive Damon's plans if he remained in this state of weakness.

      Stefan gasped as he exploded upright, his skin sleek with sweat as he grunted as he realized he had only been dreaming. Gwyn offered an impish smile as she sipped her chamomile tea, her ankles crossed on top of his desk. "Bad dream," She asked, her voice echoed as she spoke into the glass cup. "Your mind's psychic shield is weak, Stefan. Human blood can easily fix that." She craned her neck in a taunting manner. She watched with a feeling of satisfaction as his aura transformed into a potent brick red; Stefan was enraged, and she supposed he had every right to be. Entering his mind and tormenting him when he was awake and asleep must've struck a nerve. 

      Stefan, in a swift blur, sped over to the large wooden desk across the room and hastily threw a silver dagger in her direction. Gwyn tediously raised her hand and the knife froze mid-air. She raised an eyebrow, glancing at the weapon with an unimpressed look. "You're a dick," She said venomously. She knew Stefan was aware he couldn't kill her, he could feel that she wasn't some regular witch, but that didn't mean he couldn't try. "I only came here to tell you the culprit that killed your stupid football coach and all those innocent people has finally been caught. It was a huge mountain lion. Poor thing attacked a hunter this morning, it's all over the news." The lack of empathy in her voice was slightly frightening.

      Stefan narrowed his brown eyes. "Why are you covering his tracks?" He didn't understand. As far as he knew, there was no reason for Gwyn and Damon to cover their tracks. Sure, they were hellbent on making his only chance for a calm, happy life go horribly wrong, but he didn't think they were going to permanently reside in Mystic Falls. Or at least he hoped.

      Gwyn rose from the chair, taking one final sip of her tea as she motioned for the floating dagger to accelerate towards Stefan in a swift blur. She smiled heartlessly as he yelled in pain, collapsing to the floor as he clutched his wound. "Damon's decided to stay awhile, and where he goes, I follow." She said. The words burned as she spoke. "And making your life miserable brings the utmost joy to me." She patted his head and departed from view. It was almost painful as she realized this was her life now. Tormenting the teenage vampire who ruthlessly killed her ancestors centuries ago, which, admittedly, she enjoyed. She wasn't particularly fond of following the blue-eyed prick who couldn't get over his mummified ex.