PART ONE - chapter one

chapter one — frightened of this thing I've become  

( " I have survived. I am here. Confused, screwed up, but here." ) — Laurie Halse Anderson

            Gwyn expelled a weary breath as she enthroned herself on the plush cushions of the sofa beside the unilluminated fireplace, nearly collapsing in a stupor as she lightly stirred her tea. The garden pink tea fragranced the air as a delicate perfume for a room smothered with an ominous aura of death. She sipped the raspberry brew, allowing the warmth to circulate through her. A momentary sense of ease washed over her as she closed her eyes to relish the taste lingering on her tongue. Her alleviation was, as she foresaw, as momentary as the blink of an eye. 

      The calmness of the room dispersed as Damon Salvatore casually strolled through the foyer, a gleam of deviltry glimmered in his eyes as he took his place on an antique-like chair across from her. He crossed his ankles over the polished wood of the coffee table. Sunbeams seeped through the curtains and landed on his pale skin and he continued onward with his piercing stare, unaffected with the warmth of the sun. She sipped her raspberry tea again, then placed the ornate glass teacup on the small wooden nightstand beside her. "The Talisman," She said suddenly, "I need the talisman of the witch who performed the spell." Damon straightened his posture, keenly aware of his brother's presence within the confined walls of their home. She rolled her eyes. "Relax, your cock, I warded the room so no one outside this room can hear us."

      Damon's posture eased. "I hid the talisman in the Lockwood mansion a hundred-and-fifty years ago." 

      Gwyn gave him a blank stare. "Nearly a hundred-and-fifty years ago you promised Emily to protect her descendants as long as she made this crystal for you to save Katherine, this crystal that is exceedingly important to our plan, might I add," She paused as she closed her eyes while pinching the bridge of her nose. "And you hid it in Lockwood's mansion?" 

      He didn't respond as he pressed his mouth into a thin line and nodded imperceptibly. "When you say it like that, it doesn't sound like a good idea." He said after a moment's pause. "But it's a full-proof plan. The town's annual Founder's Party is soon and the comet is tonight. It'll be activated by then and we can just take it."

      "And I don't suppose you have mustered up another wonderful plan on how to get this crystal," She asked, looping her finger on the tea cup's handle. She brought the raspberry brew to her mouth, sipping the drink with another contented sigh. "Your track record with well-thought plans doesn't seem impressive." 

      Damon plastered an artificial smile. "My plan brought you back here to Mystic Falls with your dad," He said.

      Gwyn feigned a smile as she glared at him, steel-like. "Against my will." She added, "You threatened to kill him." 

      "I coerced you." 

      "Look at you using your big boy words." 

      Damon was going to retaliate but the echoing sound of the entrance door creaking open distracted them both. They froze and listened to the stillness of the room, whereas Gwyn couldn't hear anything distinctive, she knew Damon heard everything. A satisfied smirk rose on his mouth and he surged from the chair and disappeared with a dramatic blur. She calmed her nerves as she realized there was no danger and she eased the waves of power threatening to release.