PART ONE - chapter five

chapter five — that bitch

      "Gwyndolyn," His voice escaped his pink lips in a melodious and derisive manner. Her eyes remained closed as she disregarded Damon's voice. Her palms were pressed on the dewy grass of the early morning sunrise. She could sense a subtle displacement of the balance; there was something different in the vibrations of the chilly air. She recognized the change when her morning brew was an ominous shade of raspberry crimson, then the white candle burned away as she was cooking her breakfast, and then her palo santo was singed at the ends. Something was wrong. However, she could barely concentrate with Damon Salvatore laying across on the grass and pestering for some form of attention. "What are you doing?" He resembled a small child asking their mother what their actions were while not-so-subtly pouting.

      She sighed as her hands sunk deeper into the rich soil. "There's something messing with the balance. It's small, barely noticeable, but it's there." She answered, the coolness of the earth chilling her skin. Gwyn searched through the colorful fortress of her mind, combing through the pictures that emerged. That's when an image of Bonnie forged with a hazed blur, clutching the talisman while her ancestor encircled her grasp on her. She opened her eyes suddenly. They were glossy with premonitions and annoyance. "That bitch." She mumbled as she pushed herself from the grass.

      The presence of Emily Bennett, Bonnie's ancestor from the Civil War era and someone Gwyn was somewhat acquainted with, was only going to make their mission even more challenging. Gwyn initially believed things were going to be easier since Damon pinned his murders on Stefan's former friend, Lexi, which relieved them from the Council's concerns. Obviously she couldn't catch a break. Damon mimicked her actions. "What bitch," He asked, following her to her car.

      Gwyn entered and pressed her key into the ignition. "Emily Bennett, that's who. She's haunting Bonnie, I don't think she's gonna keep her end of the bargain." Damon's face hardened. He was entirely aware of what bargain she was referring to. That bargain was engrained inside his mind for almost two-hundred years. But as he moved to enter her passenger door, she stopped him. "No, I'll deal with Emily. You go fix your issues with Stefan and get him off our backs."

      Damon whined childishly. "Why do I have to do that? Why can't you?"

      Gwyn rolled her eyes as she raked her fingers through her sandy hair. "You killed his only friend while he watched. That seems like your problem."

<<>>

      Crowded environments were sometimes overwhelming for Gwyn. The intense pulses of raw emotions and uncensored thoughts consumed her. She shifted uncomfortably as waves of hormonal teenagers flood the doors of Mystic Falls High School. The thoughts that encircled around her current discomfort disappeared as her doe-eyes came across Bonnie. She hurried after her. "I'm gonna need you to stop being a greedy, little bitch and give me that damn necklace." Bonnie crashed into Gwyn's frame, eyes wide with apparent shock.