Chapter 10 | Goodbye

Magsimula sa umpisa

"That's detention for both of you!" shrieked Lady Galvin, stomping away.

Sophie and Keefe were still laughing as they made their way into orientation. Neither paid attention to Principal Leto (otherwise known as Mr. Forkle), instead stealing glances- and kisses- throughout morning announcements and attendance.

After orientation, they made their way through the halls together, stopping when they had to seperate to go to their separate wings. They kissed one last time, then split up.

While she truly did try to pay attention to her Mentors, Sophie had a hard time focusing. She kept imagining Lady Galvin's face and bursting into laughter, or imagining Keefe's and daydreaming.

Finally, it was lunchtime. Sophie practically ran to the cafeteria, slowing when she neared it. She found Keefe leaning casually against the wall next to the doors, arms crossed and one leg bent. When he caught sight of her, he smirked.

"Thought you'd never come, Foster."

"Some of us actually went to our sessions," Sophie returned playfully.

"He laughed and pushed off the wall. "Fair enough. C'mon, let's go eat."

Sophie had a moment of panic as Keefe took her hand and led her into the huge room. He felt the shift in her emotions, and paused.

"You good, Foster? Not having second thoughts, are we?"

"No. Just... kind of hoping Fitz decided to skip lunch today."

"Nah, we can handle Fitz." It was a good thing he was so confident. The only thing that got Sophie moving again was his use of the word 'we.'

As they grabbed their trays and made their way to their usual circular table, they noticed Tam and Linh were there too- it must be their day at Foxfire. Linh was next to Fitz, and an empty chair was on his other side. Biana was in the next one, and Dex was next to her. Another empty chair, and then Tam was sitting on the other side of Linh. Sophie hesitated, about to claim the chair in between Dex and Tam to stay away from Fitz, but Biana motioned her over and Sophie didn't want to refuse. Keefe took the other seat.

"Hey, Sophie!" said Linh happily. "Sorry we couldn't come to the sleepover, I had... other plans. And Tam..."

"Tam had other plans too." the sulky teen retorted. Then he muttered, "Like staring at the wall."

Dex and Keefe tried to cover their snorts of laughter, and failed miserably.

"Hey!" Biana swatted Dex next to her. "You had fun!"

"I actually did," he told Tam, eliciting another snort of laughter. "No, really!"

"And what fun did you have at a sleepover?"

"Loads of things," and he glanced at Biana.

Sophie gave her a look, and Biana blushed, mouthing tell you later. Sophie grinned and nodded.

Linh looked back and forth between them, then at Fitz. "Well, did you have fun at the sleepover?" she asked with a strange smile.

"Not a bit." And he gave her a tiny flicker of a smile back.

Now Sophie was confused. "Did I miss something?"

Fitz snorted. "I don't think you have the right to ask me that question. You might remember why I didn't have any fun. I found out for sure you were cheating on me. And yet you don't seem to have lost any sleep over it."

"I did, actually. You have no idea. I felt awful about it."

"Past tense."

"Yes, past tense. If I hadn't broken up with you then- before I got together with Keefe, I might add- I would now. You're acting awful."