Chapter Fourty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Funny," I replied sarcastically, and he chuckled. "Okay fine, so our daily banter isn't considered arguing, but what about the times that we've actually gotten into a fight? Like in June," I went on.

In June, I had gotten annoyed at him for not wanting to do anything because he was so busy being his angsty-ass self and being opposed to simple fun things like bowling or beach volleyball. I told him (only somewhat aggressively) to lighten up, and needless to say he didn't take it too well. Looking back at it, I don't blame him, though. If he had said that to me I probably would've reacted much worse..

"I mean, every relationship has arguments from time to time.. if not then they're either not being completely honest with each other, or they're just plain boring people."

"Yeah," I agreed, "I guess I'm just nervous that we've gotten so used to living in Hell that we won't even know how to live in Heaven, if that makes sense.

"It does," he said, reaching and taking my hand under the sheets, intertwining our fingers. "But that's not gonna be the case, C."

"If you think about it, in a way every relationship is an 'end of the day' one.. because the most important part is how you deal when everything turns to shit and you don't have control.." he continued thinking out loud, "I mean, that's the hard part of a relationship. Not deciding how bright your days are, but dealing with how dark your nights get. And we've had plenty of bright days, too- they've just been so right and natural to us that you didn't even notice the sun rise."

"Damn," I chimed in, and he looked back to my eyes, smiling slightly when he saw my overly-impressed reaction to his words. "When did you become a poet?" I asked, and he chuckled, rubbing my hand with his thumb a little.

"You bring out the worst amounts of cheesiness in me, what can I say?" He smiled softly at me again, and I returned it.

"I'd say we have the 'dealing with everything turning to shit' part down pretty solid," I mused, turning on my side to fully face him.

"Speak for yourself, I might be concussed," he joked, and I laughed a little. Then it was quiet for a bit.

"I know you wouldn't leave me," I spoke again after a few moments. Our eyes locked again, "and I'd never say that lightly. But it just always seems to happen to me- the people I love leaving and whatnot. I guess it's just always been in the back of my mind haunting me.." when I said this, he turned on his side as well to be fully facing me.

"I thought I made it pretty clear by now, but I'm going to marry you one day. Unless when I eventually ask you say no, which would be awkward as fuck," he started, and I chuckled, my heart swelling as he continued.

"And I'll work super hard to make sure every day is as bright as it can be. And when we get in fights, we'll just think about all the 'end of the day' moments where we know whole heartedly that it doesn't matter what pointless arguments we get into, because there's no one else for either of us and we love each other more than we hate the hardships. And then we can make little us's and give them a better lives than we had," he cracked another smile, and my heart grew even more at the thought of a little Ashton parading around the world.

"And then one day we'll die, but even that'll be fine because we can just get all hot-and-heavy in hell," he wiggled his eyebrows, and I reached up to stop them with a chuckle. "No relationship is perfect. And I'd say that with how fucked up we both are, us is the closest thing to perfect we could make," he finished, and I tried not to let my eyes get misty at his beautiful words.

"By that logic, I'd say we're pretty perfect," I smiled and scooted in a little closer to him. "I remember when you used to be a man of few words," I teased.