Chapter Thirty-Five

XXXV
• • •

Crystal's POV***

        "Oh my god you're a masterpiece," Ali told me as she pulled away, handing me the handheld mirror. We had decided to give each other makeovers for the hell of it, and talk about all the shit going on in our lives.

An impressed expression spread on my face at my reflection, the warm-toned eyeshadow blending perfectly into the dark winged liner. It was definitely more dramatic than anything I had worn in a long time, but it was also definitely a good distraction from everything. I had done a gold look on her, highlighting the golden accents in her eyes.

I told her how amazing she did, but before we could take a picture together my phone began ringing. 'Ash-hole<3' appeared on my screen and I let a wide grin spread on my face as I excitedly picked up, fluttering my false lashes at the camera.

"Hey, so th— wait why do you look so good right now?" His eyes did a mini double take at my glammed-out appearance. I let out a 'pfft'.

"As opposed to when I don't?" I joked, and the expression he made when he realized he was trapped made me chuckle. "Me and Ali dolled each other up," I answered, angling the camera over so that he could see her makeup, too. She came closer and flashed her bright smile with me.

"You guys look great," he said, clearly not knowing how to compliment anything specific about someone's makeup. I laughed and Ali thanked him.

"What's up?" I asked, walking over and plopping down on my bed, "you seem even more tense than usual."

"I was just calling to let you know that Eli's got the upper ground now," he replied as if talking about a war. I scrunched my face at him in confusion.

"Huh?"

"He took Kevin. He's got Kevin now," he added, and I continued giving him a strange look.

"What in the hell are you talking about?"

"Kevin showed up to my house today and apparently Eli crashed at his place last night because allegedly he was kicked out of his house... I don't know... but so anyway now Kevin feels bad for Eli and so Eli has him on his side even though Kevin should be mine because I knew him first and it's no fair that just because I didn't get kicked out of my house Eli gets to monopolize him," he finished, and I bit back my laugh.

"Are you in college or middle school? Just wondering," I asked, and he shot me a little glare. "I'm pretty sure Kevin just wants you two to make the hell up already.. not to give Eli this upper ground you speak of." I looked at Ali and she nodded with an eyebrow raised, confirming that it should have been obvious to him.

"Wait a minute- Eli got kicked out?!" I said when I realized what he had said. I sat up against the wall, concern spreading on my face.

"Yeah, I don't know why," he replied, trying to appear utterly uninterested, but the fact that I knew he was trying undermined his efforts.

"You're not at all curious as to why your best friend is currently homeless?"

"Correction, I don't have a best friend, so therefore he could not be homeless, because he does not exist," he replied, and I rolled my eyes at his uncharacteristic immaturity.

"You know, you could always offer him a place to stay. Staying at each other's places while homeless can be you guys' thing," I suggested lightheartedly.

"Oh yeah good idea, and then maybe in a year or two I'll rub it in his face that I offered him a place to stay and that he's not as well off as me. And then maybe I'll screw his sister a few times and then rub that in his face, too. Too bad he's an only child- missed opportunity to reciprocate his acts of kindness," he replied sarcastically, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him again.