Chapter Twenty-Eight

XVIII
• • •

Layla's POV***

"Wait okay okay okay," Kevin said. He had sat down in Eli's desk chair while we explained everything to him. "So you," he pointed at me, "and him?" He pointed at Eli. When I nodded, he shot me a confused expression, "why though? He's just Eli he's nothing special." I chuckled when he said this.

"To you, maybe," I replied. He sat back in the chair and let out a 'huh', still taking it all in. After the initial shock, he was actually taking it really well. I mean, I don't blame him for being so shocked- we were probably the last two people he had ever expected to get together. And it was somewhat of a sticky situation.

"You two are sneaky little cookies," Kevin commented and I bit back a laugh, "I mean I guess I see it, but I'm usually better at picking up on this stuff.. kudos to you guys for hiding it so well."

"Yeah, uh, speaking of that," Eli chimed in. "Are you gonna..."

"Tell Ash-y-poo? Nah. I'll let you two figure that out.. I mean, not to freak you out or anything but if I reacted like that when I first found out..." he didn't have to finish the implied sentence- imagine how bad Ashton is going to react. I swallowed the lump in my throat at the thought.

"This has been a very strange night," Kevin said and stood up from the chair. "I'm gonna go make sure Savanah hasn't proposed to anyone else."

"I don't even know where to begin asking about that statement," Eli spoke the words before I could say the same thing.

"I'll tell you tomorrow. Maybe if I get drunk enough I won't remember you two ever happening," he joked, "have a good night, lovebugs," he finished and left the room, shutting the door behind him.

"Well, that happened," I said and looked up at Eli.

"That was fine, right? Like he seemed fine?" Eli asked, clearly a little flustered. I chuckled.

"He's Kevin. He's fine," I assured him, "I thought you said you didn't care if everyone found out."

"I don't, but Ashton would explode if he found out through Kevin."

"He'll probably explode, anyway," I said and tried to shrug it off.

"He shouldn't be possessive over you though, like, that's simply not how love works. He can't hold you back from shit," he commented, rolling his eyes at my brother.

"He's not, he just," I paused, trying to find my words, "he lost me once before, for a long long time. And he's scared of losing me again, and losing you, too."

"That's not an excuse," he insisted, and I wasn't sure what else to say. "I'm gonna go check on everything and make sure nobody's set the house on fire. I'll be back in a bit, yeah?" He asked, getting up from the bed.

"Yeah, I might come back out in a few," I offered up.

"No pressure, feel free to make yourself at home here," he added with a smile and a wink. I chuckled and nestled into his comfy bed.

"Will do."

• • •

Eli's POV ***

Once I closed my door and started walking, I saw Kevin down the hall look up to me. I tried to force a smile, despite the nerves testing me.

"Why were you looking for me in the first place?" I asked when I reached him.

"I was gonna ask if Ali and I could crash here but it looks like we'll be finding different plans," he answered, referring to the fact that Layla would be staying over.