Chapter 12: Jealousy

Warnings: Kija gets jealous but Hak sure is having a fun time watching you get punished. 

You don't know how you let it get this far. 

At first, it seemed harmless. A suitor you needed to appease for your father to check off the list. Kouka Kingdom still needed a king and you had to be married within the year in order to ascend the throne.

But this guy was a total douche. 

The dragons and Hak all knew but they were less than pleased with the whole thing. Especially when this guy in particular attached himself to your side like a parasite. 

First, he wouldn't leave you alone when you tried to see the dragons, hoping that one of them could save you. Hak had to stand by your side but watch in aggravation as this guy pushed his luck. Since he served the king, he wasn't allowed to interfere.

But at tea when he tried to touch you, he finally snapped. Thinking fast, you had moved back swiftly as Hak punched the guy in the nose, making him scream and curse you which only fueled your bodyguard's rage.

Intelligence wasn't his strong suit.

The prince from another land spat out blood, scrambling upright like an idiot. "This bitch should've submitted to me!! That's all women are good for—"

He was interrupted as the blunt end of Hak's glaive clipped him across the jaw. His eyes held nothing besides cold, raw fury and at this time, you were worried he was actually going to kill him. 

He wouldn't have walked out of there alive if it wasn't for Jae-ha and you hauling him back as a furious Kija got up all in his face. The two of them had just come from the training arena when they saw you in the garden. What was supposed to be a greeting and a check-in to make sure you were okay turned into much more when they saw the suitor harassing you. 

"The Princess doesn't have to do anything." Kija responded in kind, eyebrows knitting at the nerve of this guy. "And if you ever treat her, or anyone else, like that ever again, I will shred you to pieces."

After that, you were escorted inside by your bodyguard and the white dragon while Jae-ha stayed behind to oversee the arrest of Mr. Douchebag.

The two men at your side didn't say a word as they led you down the long hall that would bring you to the far east side of the castle to the royal library. It was one of your favorite places in the whole wide world, loving the peace and quiet you knew you could always find there.

Nobody else ever went there unless there was a need for one of the scholars to fetch one of the scrolls but they usually got out pretty fast since everyone knew how much you loved the historic part of the palace. 

Kija had hoped that bringing you here would put you at ease after witnessing that display of strength. But what he didn't know was that you weren't the least bit shaken. 

Hak had been your protector for years and you had never felt safer with him and the dragons. 

The cathedral ceiling was intricately carved and painted with numerous murals. In your spare time, you loved to lay on the floor and stare up at it for hours. Your bodyguard had a habit of finding you sprawled out in all different directions at any point in the day.

There were rows and rows of bookshelves all throughout the vast room, each stocked to the max with books and ancient scrolls filled with your kingdom's history and information on other countries around the world.

You skipped over to your window seat toward the back and even though the ledge was at the level of your chest, you jumped up without much of a problem. It had a purple cushion on it, along with several opened books that you had started but hadn't finished yet.