13

I awoke panting and sweaty while Roman called my name. My eyes flew open and I latched onto his comforting form immediately, tears springing to my eyes. This wasn't like the bloody nightmares I'd had since I was a child of my parents horrific death...this was me conjuring memories from my time with the Jaecars and twisting them after having met Elliere. My mind was apparently subconsciously worried about turning into a different Lupus, but I had already shifted twice now and still nothing. What did I honestly have to worry about?

With a shake of the head, I glanced up at Roman who was staring down at me with complete worry. He squeezed me once he seen me looking and I whimpered, the nightmare still fresh. He kissed my forehead and slowly sat us both up.

"What happened?" He asked after a few moments, his voice thick with concern.

"Nightmare," I muttered, unable to spit more out.

"Well, whatever it was.. it's not real. You're okay," Roman whispered, rocking me.

He had no idea just how real it could be. I realized...before I had shifted and became a Lupus, I had already dreamed about it. Could this be the same way? Would I really be like Elliere? What would happen? The pack would probably reject me, Roman's wolf side probably wouldn't like my own, and everything would just be ruined.

Oh my god...

I didn't realize I was hyperventilating until Roman gently slapped my face. I sucked in a huge breath and exhaled, tears once again welling at the awful possibilities.

"Rori, calm down. Tell me what happened in that nightmare!" Roman's voice was a desperate plea and as I gazed into his beautiful blue eyes I broke down, thinking if my dream came true I'd never get to see those again.

Roman blew out a slightly frustrated sigh until I began sobbing out what had happened in the nightmare and explaining that I was worried it would happen because it did before I turned Lupus. He grabbed me in a tighter hold and managed to convince me if I hadn't turned after the two shifts I'd already been through that chances are I was fine, I was still a normal Lupus.

Calm and collected, I finally rose from his arms. He watched me carefully, but I gave him a small smile and told him I was going to shower. Roman nodded and gently asked if I wanted him to join. I sort of wanted to be alone, to collect myself better, but I also worried I'd overthink and part of me didn't want to be alone so I agreed.

Roman didn't look lustful or overly giddy, instead he seemed relieved I had agreed to have him accompany me. Somehow that made my decision to have him join me even better. I knew he wouldn't try anything, if anything he'd comfort me better than I could manage to collect myself alone.

I carefully walked to the shower and turned the faucet on. I could hear his footsteps behind me, but I wasn't worried as I began to strip off my shirt. I felt his warm fingers caress the skin of my stomach and I melted into him further, unable to resist with our new bond. Light kisses were placed upon my shoulder and then my neck, I felt the beginning flickers of desire warm in my belly and knew that wasn't what I wanted right now. I gently pulled away and stripped my remaining clothes away, Roman's eyes burning into me the whole time though I knew he'd be decent. I glanced over my bare shoulder to see he was still clothed and eyeing me hungrily. I rolled my eyes, but a faint smile came to my face. I was slowly beginning to forget the horrid nightmare I'd had thanks to Roman's presence.

"Are you going to just stand there?" I asked cheekily.

Roman shook his curly brown haired head, grinning and quickly began pulling off his clothing while I slid beneath the warm, relaxing spray of water.

**

By the time our shower had finished, my mind was clear of any horrifiying thoughts including the nightmare and I was fresh and clean. True to what I had been thinking, Roman was entirely decent with merely helping wash me and scrub my hair. It was even more relaxing than showering alone, though I did feel his eyes linger on me from time to time making my stomach flip. We had dressed in silence that only lasted until we reached the kitchen which was overflowing with laughter and talkative people.

We trailed to our usual places at the bar where Damion, Bree and Cole sat also. Picking up food, we settled into our seats as everyone greeted us.

I looked to Cole immediately remembering he had training with Luke earlier and had ate raw last night without me. He looked at me with expectant eyes when he noticed me looking at him.

"How was everything? Training? Eating raw?" I asked, taking a bite of toast.

"It was good. Training was as basic as Luke said in front you. Just a jog, but it was nice getting to know someone else in the pack better. And Yorik and Annalise helped me eat raw which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be," Cole replied, talking animatedly. I smiled as I seen the happy twinkle in his eye. I knew he was adjusting well and he liked having a pack like family even more than I did.

"That's great! And it's usually that way," I laughed, remembering all the worries I'd had about eating raw meat. "Hopefully I'll be able to join you soon in eating raw."

"That'd be nice, Rori," he grinned. "But I'll talk to you all later, I'm going to have another lesson from Sarah and Holden.. I'll remember to ask about..whatever mates are."

"Good, good." I ruffled Cole's black hair as he passed by and as I turned back I seen Bree's horrified expression.

"What?" I asked, eyes widening.

"You told him to ask the Elders about mates! He's only eight, Rori!" She scolded, her face furious.

"He can take it. He's already starting training with Luke. He's been through the worst things possible, Bree. His childhood, unfortunately, is long gone. The only thing he wants now is a family that won't get torn apart, and with the pack, I know he'll get that."

Bree was silent after that, not saying a word. She didn't know Cole like I did. After a few minutes, I watched as she slipped from her stool accompanied by Damion and muttered something about going home for a few days. I knew she didn't agree with what I said, but I also knew she really probably did need to go home to her family.

I tried not to be upset and think she was leaving because of me. I knew she would be back and we'd probably be all better, but it was hard when she barely threw a goodbye my way.

With a sigh, I stood, feeling my appetite drain away. Roman stood with me and I felt his arms gently grab me in a hug. I was reassured, but still worried Bree would be mad when she returned.

I let out a soft groan and headed out of the kitchen. As I entered the living room a little voice shouted "Rori!" and then I felt little arms wrapping around my legs. I glanced down and felt my worries ease away at the sight of Lilith's smiling face.

"Can I braid your hair?"

My grin widened on my face and I agreed instantly. I settled on the carpeted living room floor and Lilith got to work immediately. I glanced around to see Roman's smiling face and Lilith's happy parents, Garrett and Chloe. My eyes slid closed in comfort as Lilith's small, skilled fingers began braiding my long ashy blonde hair.

Minutes later, my hair was in a long, thick braid and I was thanking little red haired Lilith with a gracious smile for more than she knew. My eyes flickered around, wondering if Roman had left during my braiding session, but he was still there and smiling. I stood and crossed the room to him.

"You look beautiful," he murmured before I could say a word.

My cheeks heated, but my smile never wavered. "Thank you, you look lovely as well."

He scoffed. "I don't look any different than I did before."

"No and that's why you are so lovely," I grinned and squealed as he pulled me down for a kiss.