7

It hadn't taken long to find Roman. I knew he'd be here of all places... in our spot on the hill, in the forest trees. It was odd, being so cautious as I approached him. The minute I'd been enveloped back in that familiar house, I began remembering everything, memories, pack members..it was as if Claire had blocked my memories and now, I recalled how happy and close we'd once been. It was unsettling to be here, in our spot, and not be calm or relaxed. But most of all, it felt wrong not being happy with Roman on this small hill. I realized I wanted to be happy once more with him though I knew it wouldn't be easy, not with all that I had went through. I would probably have more nightmares than before I shifted, before I realized that the Jaecars had killed my parents. Now I just figured the nightmares would be more recent and of the Jaecars. It made me shudder and made me eye Roman warily. I had wished he had saved me, rescued me, but I needed to just be happy someone had and that I could even see Roman. Be here with him.

That last thought had me sucking up any selfish and pitying thoughts I had for myself to approach Roman more properly. He lifted his head up lazily, but I could read the hurt clear in his blue eyes.

"Roman, I...just wanted to say that I'm-"

In the space of seconds Roman had gotten to his feet and had rushed over to me, not giving me the option to pull away as he crushed me to him. His scent invaded my lungs and it was so familiar I found myself relaxing into him. His scent brought back waves of even more memories and happy moments I'd ever spent with him and I realized just how much I loved him. He was the only one I thought of in the Jaecars complex and the only thing that kept me hoping. I had never counted on Elliere helping me escape, but he had...however he wasn't who I loved. This man, this Lupus who was crushing and holding me as though his life depended upon it was who I loved and I shouldn't have been so disappointed that he couldn't come to me when I'm sure he was doing all he could.

My arms wrapped around his slim waist and I hugged him back, tears springing to my eyes as I reveled in the scent of Roman. I had missed him. I missed him more than anyone and I regretted not throwing myself into his comforting grasp the minute I'd walked into the the door. But Cole was important to me too and I had been worried about his body fighting off the serum. I didn't need to worry now. I was home and that's what mattered.

"Shhh," I heard Roman's rough voice rumble in his chest as he stroked my ashy blonde hair. "It's alright, Rori. I'm here now and I'm never letting you get taken away from me again. You'll never leave my side again, I promise. I had been planning on coming today, but it seemed you had help in there...and I'm grateful for that Lupus, really."

I let out a shaky breath as the sobs I didn't know I'd been making ceased. I released a soft sigh knowing he had been planning to rescue me and snuggled further into his chest, my fingers gripping his shirt tightly.

"Thank you," I whispered.

He squeezed me and then released me. His blue eyes were shining happily and I'm sure mine were mirroring his own. He looked out to the forest and back to me, a grin spilling over his face.

"Wanna go for a run, like we used to?" He asked and my heart swelled with warmth. I nodded eagerly and together we shifted into our Lupus forms, greeting our wolf forms excitedly. It was perfect and just the way I could remember.

This was a start, I thought, and it was going to be a better one than before.

**

When we came back to the house, I knew I'd have to find Bree right away. I knew she'd be upset just the way Roman had been and I needed to make up for it. I needed my best friend and now that she knew what I was, I could build an even tighter bond between us. I wanted to learn all about her Witchy self and what she could do. It excited me.

As Roman and I slid into the house fully clothed, we had changed into our clothes after the run which had been surprisingly not awkward, we were bombarded by the rest of the pack who had gathered around Cole who seemed to be stirring. Lilith was the first to throw her little arms around me. She was crying happy tears from her hazel eyes and I quickly scooped her into my arms, feeling my own tears of joy forming. It wasn't long before I was getting hugged by her parents, Chloe and Garrett and then Holden and Sarah followed by their adopted boys, Trevor and Cody who both sent me flirty winks, saying they were happy to see me alive and well. Even the 'witches' Eva and Winter came up to me to tell me how happy they were to see me back in the safety of the pack. Luke, who I had seen and talked with earlier, gave me a squeeze on the shoulder while Roman's brother, Damion threw himself at me and nearly killed me with his hug.

"I'm happy you're home, sis," he'd murmured in my ear, causing more tears to flood my eyes.

"Me too," I'd replied and smiled as he released me.

The last to approach me were the leaders of the pack, Yorik, Annalise and their daughter, Aurora. Yorik gave me a clap on the shoulder and a bright smile while Annalise and her daughter squeezed me in a hug, murmuring about how my brother was stable and doing fine now. I thanked them all and was relieved when Roman took my hand, pulling me away from the group. It wasn't that I didn't miss them, I did and would spend time with them all later to make up for the lost months I'd been held away.

Now I was on a mission to find Bree and set things straight. I wished I'd acted differently when I had gotten here, but it had just been so long, I felt like I couldn't even relax until now. With Roman's hand securely in mine, I felt like I could've been in worse places and feel good. We were heading down the hallways and soon ended up on the porch that Sarah and her mate, Holden liked to sit in so much. But obviously they weren't in there now and in their place sat Bree. She was sniffling, her hair was tangled and sobs left her mouth while she gazed out the windows. It was warm and the beautiful plants had boomed wonderfully so the view of the forest was as breathtaking as ever. My heart ached at the sight of making Bree cry. I had been so cruel when I walked in. I should've missed them immediately and threw myself at all of my pack members and her, but I hadn't and I did regret it.

I stepped into the room, Roman released my hand and stood back to allow me this time with my friend.

"Bree?" I whispered and she jerked, whirling around to reveal her red, tear-streaked face. Now my heart broke.

"I'm so sorry," I rushed out and enveloped her in a hug before she could push me away. Tears brimmed in my eyes as she sobbed harder and soon we were both a crying mess.

After a few minutes I pulled back and gazed at Bree, my normally fiery, red-headed friend. She sniffled again and wiped away her watery green eyes.

"Do you forgive me? I was just so overwhelmed when I finally got back... I couldn't believe I had escaped! Hell, I still can't believe it," I chuckled a little, still unsure if she would accept my apology.

"O-of course I forgive you! You've been gone for months! I n-never thought I'd s-see you again and oh Rori! I'm so glad you're back!" She wailed, hugging me tightly again and I feared I might be crushed even more than when Damion hugged me.

"I'm so glad to be back," I murmured, squeezing her back.

I had my best friend back, now all that was left to do was catch up on all these missed months.