51. Anger and Loss

I wake up naked in an unfamiliar and empty bed

I wake up naked in an unfamiliar and empty bed. I reach out and caress the spot next to me wishing Timber had stayed the morning, but he never does. No, that was never his way. Any time Timber spends the evening with me, doing much of what we were doing last night, he is always gone first thing in the morning.

Lifting up the covers, I look down at my naked abdomen. Soon enough it will be swollen and round, full with an heir. I am nearly three weeks late from my monthly bleed, which has never happened. I know that I am pregnant this time. I have finally done my duty.

A smile spreads itself over my face as I get up from the bed, stretching out my limbs happily. It felt good to be in such a delicate condition, especially in this realm. I am able to show the queen of the Sky Realm that she is not the only one who can deliver her kingdom heirs. She is not the one who holds Timber's heart any longer.

There is a knock on the chamber door which has me tossing on my night dress before going to answer it. Once I do, I see a woman holding garments on the other side. "May I help you?" I ask the sky creature.

"No, Queen Alaska, it is just that we have secured you fresh royal garments. We are cleaning the ones you came in yesterday." I furrow my brow wondering how they had managed to get those. "Your king brought them down first thing this morning."

"Why thank you, Lady—"

"Lady Wren." She nods but before she walks away I smell the strangest scent on her.

"Excuse me, Lady Wren?" I call her back to me and when she is in front of me I close my eyes. Taking another whiff of her, I can scent something, someone, familiar but not. "Have you seen King Timber this morning?"

"For the garments, yes, Queen Alaska." I watch as her pupils dilate and her skin begins to sweat, smelling of fear. She is scared. Why would she be scared of seeing my king? Before I can take another deep inhale she asks, "is there anything else I can help you with before having your morning breakfast brought up?" I shake my head no but eye her suspiciously. "Alright then, I shall be on my way."

Once she leaves I close the door. I go to sit back on the bed and think back to the odd smell on Lady Wren. It was like a mixture of fragrances but one harmonious scent; like it belonged to one creature. But that cannot be right because it had also smelled of Timber.

After I change myself I begin pacing the room uneasily. Something is not settling right inside of me from that interaction. When my door opens I find myself letting out a startled growl, only to see Timber himself. He looks around the room protectively but I assure him there is no harm.

"Sorry to worry you, my king. It is just that I am feeling slightly unsettled this morning." His brow furrows as he sets the tray of breakfast foods down on the table.

"And why do you feel such a way? Has something happened?" Timber looks over me head to toe, as if looking for some kind of injury.

"I am physically well." My hand goes down to my belly as I continue pacing. "We are fine but I scented something off this morning." I watch as he takes a seat and turns toward me, gesturing for me to continue. "Lady Wren came to drop off my garments and she smelled of you but not you. It was like the oddest mixture."