51. The Dream Synopsis

Start from the beginning

  "Al?" I said quietly.

  "Yeah honey?" he hummed, half awake.

  "Who's behind you?" I asked timidly. Even Amelia noticed the fragility of my voice and curiously looked up at me with furrowed eyebrows.

  Alex looked behind him, "oh that's Miles," he said casually and lifted his phone up to show me Miles sleeping under the doona on the other end of the bed. "He and Taylor got into a fight and she kicked him out of their room."

  I cannot express how inviting the relief that flooded my body at that moment felt. I hated that I'd ever doubted him but I'd ignored red flags before and we all know how that turned out.

  "I'm bloody losing it with that woman," Alex said and rubbed a hand on his forehead. He was always such a kind and easy going person that it was almost comical seeing how frustrated and pissed off Taylor could get him. "And don't worry, I won't give Miles any spoons, I'm saving that all for you," Alex joked.

"You ought to see if he needs one though," I teased, "maybe he could use a big hug if he and Taylor aren't getting on?"

"He gets enough on stage," Alex chuckled. Amelia began to whine, getting bored of sitting still with no stimulus. I didn't want to say goodbye to Alex but I already knew what I'd be in for if I didn't tend to her soon.

"I'm gonna have to go, before she goes wild," I said with a pout, admiring Alex's digital face and longing to see it in person once again.

Alex pouted and nodded respectfully. "I hate to see you go but I understand yer duties. I'll talk to you in a bit yeah?"

"Of course," I smiled, wishing to just hug him tight and breathe in his scent until I went to sleep.

"I love you, ma ange," Alex hummed, his eyes twinkling in the warm lamp light.

"I love you so much more," I professed. And the Amelia began to whine and paw at my face. "Okay I think that's my que to go," I laughed.

"Alright, I'll let you go," Alex laughed softly. "I miss you, talk to you tomorrow."

Amelia began crying right as we hung up, tugging at the front of my shirt. "Alright Miss Whiney, let's get you some milk," I said, lifting her onto my hip and carrying her to my kitchen.

The following weekend, Natalia, Megan and I decided to go out and let loose like we used to every weekend when we were starting college. Megan's new boyfriend was DJ-ing at some venue, a very different atmosphere to Alex's shows but not impossible to have fun in.

  "Orion!" Megan called out from another room. We had all gathered at her place for pre-drinks before we went out.

  "Yeah?" I called back, my eyes trained on my reflection as I curled the last bits of my hair.

  My focus diverted to the door as Megan popped her head around the corner. "We're getting drunk tonight. College drunk. Understand?"

  I laughed and looked back to my hair, "I understand."

  "Good, now hurry up, we've gotta go now," she said.

  "Uh-huh," I nodded, "I'm coming."

On a night out, if Megan wanted you to get drunk, you got drunk. You didn't have a choice. She was like Miles in the sense that if she saw you without a drink in your hand she'd go and buy another one for you and if you were starting to sober up, she would make it her personal mission to get you wasted onto the floor.

Following true to her reputation, Megan bought us all a round of double shots the second we got to the place her boyfriend was playing at. I'm not proud, but I'm not ashamed to admit that after the first half hour, Natalia was supervising me in the bathroom, holding my hair back. Coughing up all of the tequila sunrise I'd just sculled down so I could continue on with the night.