40. Truth, Promises, And The Past

My head was throbbing like I'd been hit over the head with a large metal pole. Just trying to open my eyes was like lifting two heavy boulders. I felt like absolute shit.

  I couldn't remember a thing from the night before. Not so much as a minute as I tried to recall what exactly lead me to feeling so awful despite me going into the night being adamant that I was going to pace myself so I didn't have a hangover in the morning. This was much worse. It felt like I'd been hit by a bus and left on the side of the road.

  Managing to open my eyes properly, I looked around at my surroundings in confusion. I had no idea how I got back to the hotel, let alone the bed I was laying on. I shifted in my spot and attempted pushing myself into a sitting position. I noticed I was still wearing the same dress as the night before, I even still had my earrings in which was strange as I never slept in decorative earrings because they hurt to sleep in.

  Taking a deep breath and pushing my hair out of my face I looked to the other side of the bed, expecting to see Alex and instead finding Miles fast asleep under the covers. I was lying on top of the covers. Like I'd been placed there. Before I could even question first of all where Alex was and second of all, why the fuck I was sharing a bed with Miles instead of him, I felt something dislodge in my throat and leapt out of the bed and raced for the bathroom.

  Holding my own hair back, I hurled into the toilet over and over, barely able to stop even when I thought there couldn't possibly be anything left in my stomach. It wasn't even like when I normally threw up when I drank, I still felt genuinely ill even after tossing everything up. My head was spinning so hard I had to sit down by the toilet to keep my balance.

  After throwing up again, I wiped my mouth with a sheet of toilet paper and flushed the loo, praying it wouldn't clog. I stood shakily to my feet and looked around the sink hoping to find something to clean my mouth and found some mouthwash. Taking a shot of it and spitting it back out, I immediately found myself hovering back over the toilet bowl as my stomach began to ache.

  "Alex?" I called out in almost a whimper. It felt like my body had been broken. I thought it was the worst hangover I'd ever had and believed that the fact that I couldn't remember anything from the night before solidified that I'd just been really irresponsible.

  "Al?" I called out again. I sounded like a child. My eyes were watering from all the sickness and my head felt like it was going to spin off my shoulders.

  I heard noise in the other room and looked over to the bathroom door, hoping to see the one face that would make all the pain go away. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the face of someone else.

  "Ey O," Miles exclaimed, "you alright?"

  I shook my head and flushed the toilet again. "Where's Al?" I asked him.

  "Next door," Miles said and moved over to me, crouching by my side and placing a gentle hand on my arm.

  "Is he okay?" I asked, trying my hardest to focus on Miles' face and stop myself from seeing double.

  Miles sighed and nodded, helping me to my feet and grabbing me the mouthwash yet again.

  "Why's he next door?" I asked, putting a hand on my upper stomach as if to control the pain and stop the nausea. Miles looked guilty for a moment. "What happened last night?"

  "It's a long story," Miles sighed, "c'mon, sit down, I'll grab you some water and tell you."

  "Is Al okay?" I asked him again as he led me to one of the sofas and sat me down. Moving over to the small sink and kitchen, he grabbed me a glass of water.