48. Miracle Aligner

"Here's where my favourite worst nightmare begins."

That's what Alex had said to me when we came home from the launch party. I didn't really know what he meant at first, but it became pretty evident within the following weeks and months.

Within a week all Alex and Miles were doing was hopping from interview to interview. Photoshoot to photoshoot. Live session to live session. And when they weren't out doing press, they were cooped up in meetings with their team, discussing a tour that had already be put on the table.

I could barely keep up. It got to the point where I had next to no idea where Alex was going each day until he got home and told me all about it.

People had started showing up at the gallery again after a few months of peace and quiet. Some had even found out where my other job was too and began making sparse appearances there every now and again. So, accordingly, Alex didn't drop me off at work anymore. We said our goodbyes at the door.

"When do'ya finish?" Alex asked me as I headed out for work on a nice Friday morning.

"Five," I pouted, slinging my bag over my shoulder.

"I'll see ya when I get back," Alex said, wrapping his arms around around my waist and kissing me hard to last me the satisfaction for the day. "I love you," he hummed and kissed my neck. "Sorry I've been busy all week."

"It's okay," I smiled, running my fingers through his soft, freshly washed hair. "My little rockstar," I teased.

"Stop it you," Alex grinned and kissed me once more. "I'll make it up to ya when I come home. Promise."

"I love you," I smiled, brushing my nose against his as he pulled me to meet his body.

"I love you so much fuckin more," Alex grinned. It always sounded so good when he said it.

Work didn't end at five that day like I was promised. In the sense that I left at five but as soon as I got home I was nose deep in work again, sprawled on my bed with my computer on my lap and papers everywhere as I waited for Alex to come home in the meantime.

Seeing as it really wasn't helping with my mental health, Alex had convinced me it was okay to come off the pill. Since then, I'd been in such better moods which made working at home a thousand times more bearable.

It was already six thirty by the time I heard Alex come through the front door that day which was unusually late for him unless he was doing a late-night show interview.

"Hey baby!" I called out as I heard the front door open, moving my computer off me to go and greet him.

"Hey sweetheart," Alex said softly, closing the door behind him as I tiptoed down the hall and wrapped my arms around him. "How was work?" he asked, squeezing me tight and kissing my cheek.

"Same as always," I said, breathing in his scent as he rubbed my side. "I've just gotta finish a few things then I'm all yours."

"Mkay," Alex hummed quietly and let out a sigh. "Just gonna take a piss."

I giggled, "thank you for letting me know."

I climbed back onto my bed and shifted my computer back onto my lap, typing away as Alex disappeared off into the ensuite, closing the door behind him. That's when I first suspected something was off.

"What was today?" I asked him, loud enough that he'd be able to hear me.

"Interview," Alex replied.

"How'd it go?" I asked as I typed.

Alex didn't respond, instead, flushed the toilet and I heard the tap run for a few seconds. It was a couple minutes before he came out. I looked up as he opened the door and immediately noticed something was wrong.