23. It's Not Like I'm Not Falling In Love With You, I Promise

Song recommendation day 4: Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards/Elephant, whichever you're feeling. Tonight's the big night right?

My nose was red, each inhale sending a feathery feeling brushing my sensitive nostrils. The soft summer winds had been wafting tiny pollen and petal particles into my sinuses, irritating and awakening my hay fever all day. Jackson had insisted we go to the one field of yellow flowers by the ocean that wasn't burning up under the increasingly hot Californian sun to shoot some artsy footage for a film he was making as a project. I had told him I was prone to aggressive sneezing especially in flowering fields so he brought me some antihistamines as an apology for saying there was no other place he could go to get the shots he needed.

Christian hadn't been too pleased about Arielle standing up to him and that whole thing with the acid trip; even going as far as telling me to tell him whenever I was going out with them so he knew to "be on alert" for me doing something stupid like I "always do with them." I ignored him and told him to back off on his opinions of my friends If they were going to be mean.

Jackson took a few shots of me admiring a flower I'd plucked from the ground and laughing at the camera when he would tell me I was acting like a proper screen presence. I definitely was not but I was happy to help. We were out there for about an hour or so until I started sneezing uncontrollably to the point where my nose was so red any film Jack could get of me would look like I was sick to death.

"Sorry if I fucked the shoot," I said as we got back into his car. I was doing so many more vocational and exciting things since I'd graduated college. There was so much downtime to fill in, almost too much downtime so I had to do anything and everything in my path to keep me busy. I'd even started visiting Christian at work with lunch and little things like that or giving him lifts to his plots to try and fill in that gap I'd created between us.

"My fault for bringing the wrong tablets," Jackson said and carefully packed away his camera. "I think I got some pretty good shots. You're a legend for helping me out."

"All I did was stand and sneeze," I laughed.

"Yeah you snotty fuck," Jackson teased. "You've got some shit in your hair."

"I was saving them for later but okay," I joked and began pulling out the specks of grass and loose petals from my tangled hair.

"Did I tell you how much of a bitch Janet was last night on the five to ten?" Jackson asked as we began driving away from the secluded flower field he found on his own.

"No, do tell," I said as I heard a buzz coming from my bag. I listened intently to Jackson's anecdote about Janet complaining about not getting enough shifts, telling him to clean everything twice over for her because he "wasn't doing a good enough job", complaining about how he set up the till in the gift store as I reached into my bag and pulled out my phone; unable to resist the urge to at least check the message.

Alex: Funny you say that, just met them and watched their set believe it or not. Lovely lads, wish you were here.

Alex: Tonight's the night yeah. Set's in an hour. Bit jittery but it feels good to go back on stage. Hopefully I don't fall off.

"That Alex?" Jackson stopped his story momentarily to question me.

"Hm?" I looked up, "sorry, I'm listening I promise, continue."

"You're smiling at your screen," Jackson said teasingly, a cheeky grin on his cheeks. "From my calculations, that must mean it can't be Christian and unless Saorise or someone sent you something funny, it's gotta be Alex."