14. Seeking Safety In Other People

Saturday night shifts at the gallery were the worst. I know no one cares but it's true because I'd have to go around once I'd closed the place and clean all the glass casings for sculptures, shine the plaques and wipe down the front doors all alone at like ten at night because I got put on a closing shift. Janet was working all day too and that really was the cherry on top. Usually two people would be on closing but since she felt like leaving early it was up to me and me alone to do all the late night jobs.

  Christian came back from Italy just under a week ago from this day and we were fine. There's really not much else to it. He came in on my lunch break to make up for the fact that he was going to be out at a work dinner that night and wasn't going to be able to see me any other time of the day.

  "It's not even an important one it's just drinks so I don't know why I have to go but I do," he told me.

  In response I said: "it's okay, I'm working the late night anyway so I wouldn't have been able to go out for dinner."

  Once I'd finally finished cleaning everything I finally grabbed my bag and locked up the gallery, exhausted to the bone but beyond ecstatic to be going home. I'd parked my car about a block away on the side of a street since Janet was anal about leaving the gallery parking open to customers and began walking under the eyes of the yellow streetlights along the cement sidewalk.

  I didn't feel entirely unsafe walking alone at night since I was familiar with the area but nonetheless it was empty and somewhat eerie when it was late. I took out my keys as my car came into view and unlocked it, sending an amber pulse of light to flash across my face.

"Hey mama!" Someone called out from beside me. I looked over and saw two late teen-aged guys sitting on a bench watching me pass them as cigarettes hung from their lips. "How much?" he said and started laughing to him and his friend when I ignored them as just walked to my car faster.

"What's in the bag baby?" he continued to call out.

"Tampons," I said back without turning to look.

"That's not very sexy," he said, his voice all slurred and scratchy. I ignored him and jumped in my car as calmly yet as quickly as I could. "Aw don't ignore me, you don't wanna make me mad," he said as I shut the door and turned on my car as fast as I could. I didn't want to wait around for anything to escalate.

As I turned on my headlights I noticed that the two of them were now walking towards me. Oh no no no no no absolutely not. I popped my car into drive and was that freaked out that I forgot to take my handbrake off. Quickly stopping momentarily, I pushed that stupid thing down and by the time I looked up one of the guys was standing right in front of my car so I couldn't drive out unless I ran him over. This can't be happening. Please fuck this can't be happening.

I was too scared to take my hands off the wheel to grab my phone, I didn't want to miss even a sliver of opportunity to drive out of there as fast as possible. My palms were sweating and my heart was beating out of my chest. I almost screamed bloody murder when there was a tap at my window. I looked over and it was the guy calling out to me, mentioning for me to reel down the window. Please, please don't let this shit happen. Fuck fuck fuck how the fuck do I get out of here.

"That's a pretty necklace you've got on," he said, his voice muffled through the window I refused to roll down. I was wearing the necklace Christian bought me. "I'm sure it sells for a pretty price."

A cold sweat broke over my skin as I realised I hadn't locked the doors yet and doing so meant moving my hands off the wheel and I physically could not do that in that moment.