Chapter 11: Recovery

AN: story's almost finished! Here's chapter 10. Enjoy people.

Lila's POV:

Once again, I woke up to a pounding headache. Groaning, I opened my eyes, squinting to adjust to the bright white light. I saw I was in a white room that looked similar to a hospital. An IV drip was attached to my arm. My hands were- mercifully- unbound and I jumped down from the bed. Instantly, a sharp pain shot up my leg and I cried out.

A young doctor entered the room, "good! You're awake," he smiled.

"How long have I been out?" My voice was croaky.

"About 4 weeks," he said, checking the chart in front of my bed.

My eyes widened, "weeks?! Oh god... wait, what happened to Mr. X?"

The Doctors eyes darkened, "ah. Rest assured, Boss won't allow him to live."

"He's dead?"

"No... Miss. Russo felt that you should have the honour of delivering the final blow."

"Russo?! You don't mean-"

"Melinda Russo," he smirked, "most feared person in the world. Yeah, I do mean her."

The door opened and a woman walked in. She was tall with blonde hair and sharp grey eyes. She walked with a grace that said 'I'm in charge. Don't mess with me unless you want a bullet between the eyes.'

"Miss Russo," I resisted the urge to bow, "how are you?"

"Fine," Russo said in a clipped tone, "and you?"

I shrugged, "same here, apart from the fact that I was kidnapped."

Miss Russo smiled slightly, "yes, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. First-" she indicated the Doctor to leave, when he did, she looked at me, "how is my daughter?"

"Your daughter?" I replied, confused.

"Yes," Miss. Russo said impatiently, "Zoe. How is she?"

My jaw dropped, "Zoe is your daughter?!"

Russo sighed, "I just said that. Now, how is she?"

"Um, she's good," I stammered. Now, I could see the resemblance.

"Good," Miss Russo said, satisfied, "don't tell her that I'm her mother, please. I have too many enemies and Zoe is a young girl and I would rather she lived a happy life in blissful ignorance."

I frowned, "With all due respect, Miss. Russo, that doesn't sound like a good idea. I grew up without my biological parents and I used to think they abandoned me. My biggest regret and wish is to have had a chance to meet them just once."

Miss. Russo regarded me carefully, "I see your point. I'll think about it. Anyway, do you feel up to going back to your brothers?"

"Yes," I replied without hesitation.

Melinda nodded, "Okay. But first, I need to tell you something very important. It's about the day you were taken nearly 18 years ago..."

Important thing in 3rd person POV:

Once upon a time there were two families. The Vinentis and the DeLucas. They were fierce rivals since- well, pretty much forever. No one knows how the feud started, but it's likely it was because one family offended the other.

One day, the leaders decided that the rivalry was getting stupid and toxic. Mr. DeLuca told Mr. Vincenti that the first born girl should marry the next son born to his family, as a peace treaty. Foolishly, Mr. Vincenti agreed.

Years later, when both men were old and senile, Mr. Vincenti found out his great grandsons wife was pregnant with a girl. Fortunately, by this time, it was illegal to force two people into an arranged marriage- especially if they haven't been born yet.

Great grandad Vincenti told this to Great Grandad DeLuca. However, DeLuca was adamant that the marriage happens. The argument escalated and both men pulled out their guns. By this time, the family had come to watch the fight just Mr. DeLuca fired first and it hit the elder Vincenti in the heart. In retaliation, Vincenti fired his gun too, killing his opponent.

Both families were shocked and outraged at the outcome. Just as it was about to turn into a full blown fight, the Russos stepped in. They told both families how this bitter feud has turned into something much more dangerous and it was better to let it go now before someone else gets hurt. Grudgingly, the two families decided to sign a peace treaty. Over the months, they struck up a tentative friendship which grew stronger and the past feud was forgotten.

Except one man never forgot.
He was angry that his family didn't get the justice they deserved.
His name was Mr. DeLuca and he was the great grandson of Mr. DeLuca. His son had been promised to the Vincentis. He wanted to strike the Vincentis where it would hit the hardest. So he stole the baby girl.

The child's name was Lila Vincenti.
And she was stolen for something that wasn't her fault.

End.

Back to present. Lila's POV:

I exhaled deeply when Melinda finished her story. I was angry. Angry at my great great grandfather for making that deal. Angry at whoever took me because, if they didn't, I'd have lived a happier life.

Then, it hit me. Getting angry and emotional is what got me taken. Instead of solving the problem diplomatically, the two families got engaged in a fight that no one even remembers how it started.

So I stopped feeling angry. I forgave the men- even though they aren't alive now. Not because they deserve it, but because I don't want to carry hate around with me, not when I can carry love and positive feelings. I know first hand how bottled up hatred can explode and how you can harm the ones you love most.

Miss. Russo smiled, "you're not angry."

I grinned and chucked lightly, "nah. I'm tired. When all this is over, I'm taking a long vacation."

Melinda laughed, "well, the cars out front. Go home, Lila, and take that long vacation."

I jumped up excitedly, and resisted the urge to hug the older woman, "Thanks Miss. Russo!" And ran out of the room, in my excitement ignoring the pain igniting my body.

I can't wait to see my family again.

End of chapter 11.

Only two chapters left 😢 while I'm happy to be almost done, I'll be sad that it's finished!

Thanks for reading and stay safe :)