Chapter 23

Aaron Hotchner POV

We finished up the Profile and went back to work. I asked where Emily is and everyone said she probably stepped out or went to the bathroom. Morgan comes in holding a sticky note in his hand and walking up to the board.

"I got 4 names on the bottom of the list Prentiss gave us. Luke Renault, Lawrence Riley, Lila Rafferty, Lyle Rogers." He says pointing to the paper that was taped to the board.

"They all have the initials L.R." JJ said and I turned to face her.

"The CIA uses cryptograms like that to assign to non-official cover agents working the same case." I say.

"So do other foreign countries. These last 4 names are covers...spies." Morgan says pointing to the document with a pen.

"Wait. No. This isn't right. Do you see this space? That shouldn't be here." Garcia walks up to Morgan grabbing the paper from him and showing us.

"Could it be a formatting error?" Reid asks from behind me.

"No, this is a spreadsheet template. Formatting doesn't allow for this. There's a missing name on here." Garcia says back.

"It's another spy whose cover is L.R." I say and I hear Reid whispering something so I turn around, he had a confused look on his face. He was mouthing something.

"Lauren Reynolds is dead." He says quietly. I somewhat hear what he says.

"What?" I say.

"Lauren Reynolds is dead. Prentiss said that on a phone call 17 days ago. But her intonation wasn't surprise or grief. It was like a Mantra, like she was reminding herself. Lauren Reynolds, L.R." I take out my phone from my pocket and walk away from the team and click on her contact and call her. I hear the team talking.

"If Emily is the last name on that list, she's on Doyle's list, too." I hold the phone up to my ear and let it ring.

I hear ringing from her desk and open the top drawer of her desk. I saw her badge and gun with her phone in it too. I picked it up and showed the team. "Guys."

"She left her badge and gun? Why would she do that?" Morgan asks. I was still focused on why she didn't come to me first.

"I don't know but we have to figure it out. I definitely know that she ran to protect us." I walked over to the board and put a photo of Emily on the board. It broke me putting it up there. "Ian Doyle is our unsub...Emily is our...victim." I hated saying those words. "Let's get to work."

Emily Prentiss POV

After I left the BAU I headed to Boston, Massachusetts, where everything all started. I walked into a bar called The Black Shamrock I sat down with a drink in my hand and took out the item Doyle left for me when I saw him for the first time in 8 years. All the memories of the first time I saw him came back.
Flashback to 8 years ago

"Lauren Reynolds. This is the guy I told you about." Jack Fahey says, I stand up and hold out my hand.

"Told me everything but a name." The blue eyed man shook my hand.

"Ian Doyle. Pleasure." He says looking into my eyes.

"I love being the man brining people together. Have fun, kids." Jack Fahey walks away and we sit down.

"Jack told me you were provisional I.R.A." I told him.

He let out a small laugh. "Used to be. Then the peace accord happened. Now I gotta look for work like everybody else." He says with a smile.