Chapter 31

TW:

Talks about the act of suicide, self harm, and abuse

Emily Prentiss POV

I woke up feeling someone shift and pull me closer to them. I slowly open my eyes, adjusting to the sun that lit up the whole room. I turn over on my other side to see Aaron looking at me and smiling. He places a soft kiss on my lips.

"Good morning beautiful!"

"Morning, mon amour"

"What does that mean?"

"It means my love in French."

"Well you should speak more French because it sounds really sexy." He smiles and interlaces his hand with mine.

"Well in that case, Je t'aime Aaron et je veux passer tous les moments de reveil avec toi (I love you Aaron and I want to spend every waking moment with you)" He kisses me again and I rest my head on his chest.

"Did you just curse me or say something bad about me?" I laugh at his sentence and I start to play with his fingers.

"I said that I love you and I want to spend every waking moment with you." We lay there in silence just taking in the silent morning.

He breaks the silence with a sigh, "I have one question, you don't have to answer it if you don't want to but...what did your mom mean when she said you tried to kill yourself?" I took my head off his chest and put it on a pillow.

I stared at the ceiling and contemplated if I should tell him. But this memory has built up inside of me and had to eventually come out or it would burst out like a volcano.

"I was 17..." he shifted in his spot and turned to look at me. I kept telling myself he isn't going to leave, he is going to listen.

But that is what they do, they leave when you tell them things like this

But he is different

Keep telling yourself that, don't come crawling back to me because when you do I am going to say 'I told you so'

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I felt him hold my hand. "I had just told my mom that I wanted to do something that had something to do with criminology. She always told me never to go down that road, she wanted me to be just like her..."

*Flashback to When Emily was 17*

I walk down the stairs nervously and into my moms office, as I slowly step in the smell of a freshly opened bottle of an Australian Cabernet fills the room. I roll my eyes and think to myself,

What a perfect time to do it when she is drinking

You can tell her later

No I have to do it now or else I will keep avoiding it

She looks up from her desk and places her glass down on her desk.

"Emilia what have I told you about knocking!"

"Sorry mother I just have something to tell you." She takes another sip from her drink and starts to write stuff down.

"Well get on with it!" I slowly inch my body closer to her desk.

"I have decided to go to college for something that I am really interested in...I-I decided to uh go into the...criminology field." She slowly places her pen down and looks at me. I take a few steps back from her desk and start to pick at my nails.

"Did I hear you right?"

"Yes you did, I don't want to become you..." I say the last part quietly, but she still heard me.