Chapter 39

Captured - Part 4

KYLA'S POV:

My adrenaline is going light years a minute.

My fingers are shaking and my head is scrambled.

Once again, I unconsciously glance over my shoulder towards the door. They could be back any second.

Stupid knot.

Why can't you just come UNDONE?

Kaiden gives me a soft nudge with his leg, as if sensing my anxiety.

I glance up to meet his warm grey-blue eyes.

"Hey, it's okay. You've got this, just calm down." he whispers.

I shake my head. "We don't have much time. They're going to be back soon."

"And we'll be ready when they are." he assures me, "You got my back, right?"

My eyes flick up to his, our gazes locked on one another. I take in a shaky breath. "Of course. Always."

His eyes linger on mine as he nods his head. "Good. Cause I'll always have yours."

I practically have to tear my gaze away as I turn my focus back down to his ropes.

Asher clears his throat a couple feet away.

"Not trying to rush you, but are you almost done over there Ky?" Asher calls over from his chair.

I nod my head through gritted teeth, laser-focused. "Yeah.....almost.......got it..............."

*snap*

The ropes drop to the ground with a satisfying thud.

Kaiden shakes off the remaining ropes that are dangling around him, and quickly pushes himself up from the chair.

He rolls out his wrists and fingers as he tries to get blood flowing into them again. He shoots me a thankful look and we both hustle over to Asher's chair, frantically starting to work on his binds.

"We're short on time." Kaiden starts. "Let's get Asher out of here and get the fuck out before those—"

A loud slam of a door cuts him short. There's footsteps and muffled voices approaching from down the corridor.

"Shit." Asher curses under his breath, his facial expression sinking faster than a penny on a pond.

Kaiden stares ahead at the door with a blank expression. "Times up."

He stays calm, his eyes calculating. I can practically see the gears shifting in his head.

Then he's on the move.

He pushes Asher's chair across the room to where it was originally positioned. Then he moves back to his own chair and sits down. He starts to pull the ropes from the floor back over his body.

"Reyes, loosely tie these back up for me."

Disbelief strikes my features. I shake my head. "What? Are you crazy?"