Chapter 4

Dinner Party Madness - Part 1

All eighteen people are escorted out of the arena by assigned guardians who have been given the orders to keep an eye on us, following each individual around for the next three days until the Trials officially start.

You can call it a safety precaution, to make sure that none of the participants try and find a way out of competing in the Trials.

They accompany Asher and I back to the Lionheart quarter and to my house, where we are both currently arguing in my room whilst in a complete frenzy.

"What the hell were you thinking?!" I yell, pacing the room back and forth.

I look over at Asher who is unresponsive, sitting on the edge of my bed with his head buried in his hands.

"Ky, I couldn't let you go out there alone."

"Yes, you could have!" I turn to him, stopping mid stride, "It's bad enough that I have to go, but now you too? It's just stupid!"

"Ky—"

"I can't believe you actually did that! You know better Asher!" I wring my hands through my hair with frustration, "Now Danny has to be here all alone? The only two people in his life probably being sent to their death?!"

"Kyla, just listen—"

"It could have just been me. It should've just been me!"

"KYLA! I DON'T THINK YOU GET IT!" he stands up abruptly, hitting the table on his left hard with his fist.

I look at him with wide eyes, his outburst taking me completely off guard.

His face softens and he closes his eyes tightly, as if trying to stop the thoughts racing through his mind.

"If anything were to happen to you....and I wasn't there....I could never live with myself. You need to understand that. I could never let you go out there knowing that there was something I could have done to help or protect you.....not after what happened with my—I-I don't need to lose anyone else...."

He turns around to hide his face and walks toward the window, his back to me.

The room stays in a tense silence, no one moving nor speaking, with me in the corner feeling like an complete idiot.

Good job Kyla.

It's crazy how in one moment I want to punch Asher in the face as hard as humanly possible, but then it's like a switch goes off in me and suddenly all I want to do is give him a big hug.

My heart churns as I take in his words and I sigh, cautiously walking over to him. 

I place my hand on his shoulder and can feel his muscles tighten, as well as the rest of his body. But surely, he slowly starts to relax under my touch.

"Asher, you and Danny are the only two people left in my life. You've always been there for me, and have been by my side during some of the hardest times in my life."

He turns around to face me, his dark brows furrowed in a frown.

"You've been my shield for most of my life, even if you're unwanted at times....." I poke fun at him, "I trust you with my life....but I can't bare to see you get hurt, Ash. I won't be able to handle that. I love you too much for that."

Shit—

Realizing my mistake, my eyes widen in horror and I could practically feel my heart drop to my feet. I try to play it cool, hoping that the comment flew right over his head, but as I desperately try to read his face, for the first time in my life I didn't know what he was thinking.