Chapter 5

Dinner Party Madness - Part 2

I watch out the window as the passing greenery becomes a hazy blur. The windows are beaded and the patter of the rain beats continuously on the roof.

"This is just stupid." I mumble, unable to stop the irritation from seeping into my voice, "Do we even have to go to this?"

"Ky, we don't have a choice." Asher replies in a exasperated tone, "Plus, this might be a good thing for us. It's a time to get to know the other contestants, maybe even form up some alliances."

"Socializing with the people who are out to kill us. Sounds like a blast." I roll my eyes, turning back to the window.

"Don't think of it that way."

"What other way is there to think of it?" I sit up straight, leveling my gaze with his.

He raises his eyebrows. "As an opportunity."

"Opportunity my ass." I protest, unable to keep myself from scowling.

I didn't have to look at him to know he was frustrated, but I knew he wasn't going to press the issue.

Looking outside, the whole scenery seems so unfamiliar.

We were currently in the enclosure's headquarters. This land is held at the center of the enclosure, all of the quarters surrounding it. The only citizens who live here are people of high class who have some kind of profound status or a high ranking job for the enclosures government.

Other than that, no one was even allowed to step foot here.

The car turns onto a long gravel passageway leading to a building on the top of the hilltop.

It is a large country house, a mansion, fancy in both it's architecture and landscape.

It looks like one of the palaces in the books mom used to read to me as a child.

The car slows down, pulling up to the front entrance doors.

"You ready?" Asher asks, quirking his eyebrow upward.

I huff, giving him a long hard glare. "Let's just get this over with."

One of the servants rushes over to open the car door for us. I slowly and carefully step out and onto the stone path.

A short well polished woman in a blue blazer immediately greets us. "Hello Ms. Reyes and Mr. Bennet, so glad you both could make it!"

She has grey-brown hair that is styled in a bob and looks like she is in her forties or fifties.

"It's not like we had much of a choice." I mumble under my breath, earning a discreet elbow jab from Asher to the ribs.

Asher smiles politely at her. "It's a pleasure to be here. Thank you for having us."

She smiles back at him whilst taking a step to the side, gesturing a hand out towards the front doors of the mansion. "The rest of the guests are waiting inside, if you'd be so kind to follow me."

She leads us up the stone staircase and to the double doors that are being held open by two waiters.

"After you..." Asher smirks, eyes glistening with amusement.

"Why thank you kind sir," I curtsy sarcastically, playing along.

I step into the entrance, my eyes wandering around the enormous room. "Wow...."

I'm pretty sure my jaw is now permanently attached to the floor.

The whole place is spectacular. The ceiling is high and is filled with detailed framework, along with a selection of diamond chandeliers hanging down. There are two flights of spiraling staircases on both sides of the room leading up to the upper floors.