Chapter 31

One Last Hoorah - Part 2

"Kyla, c'mon!" Arabella huffs out an aggravated breath, "You've got to eat something. You haven't eaten in two days!"

I shake my head at her adamantly and can't stop the warm feeling rising through my chest. My stomach feels like it's having the biggest party of the century inside of me right now.

"No. It won't stay down." I insist.

She plops down onto the bed next to me and crosses her arms defiantly.

Her blue eyes pierce into mine with an relentless perseverance. "You can't starve yourself. I won't let you. It's better to try and puke it up then to be so quick to give into dying."

I wince at her comment.

I knew she was right, but I didn't want to try.

Not anymore at least.

I shake my head at her again, this time more firm.

She grumbles something under her breath like "Alright, guess we're doing this the hard way," and roughly shoves her spoon into the bowl before bringing it up to my mouth.

I seal my lips shut as I struggle to move my head away from her and the direction of her demon spoon. "ARABELLA NO!"

"Just.....Take.....A......Damn.......BITE!" she reprimands me through each of her attempts.

"I DON'T WANT IT—"

The door swings open up and Kaiden comes barreling in.

"What the hell is going on?" he looks out of breath and glances between us wide eyed, "You guys sound like you're killing each other!"

"She won't eat a damn thing, that's what's wrong!" Arabella roughly tosses the bowl on the bedside table, throwing her hands up in exasperation.

Kaiden lets out a breath as he runs a hand through his hair, his eyes flickering over to meet mine.

With pleading eyes, I send him a desperate look to rescue me.

"Why don't you go cool off." he suggests to her as he lets out a breath, "I'll take a go at it."

She scoffs through a little laugh. "Yeah, okay. You'll have as much luck as me meeting Abraham Lincoln."

With that she strides out of the room and shuts the door behind her.

My eyes close shut as I slowly sink into the bed, letting out a breath of relief.

Even just arguing with someone feels like I just ran five marathons.

Kaiden stands there with his back to me for a few long seconds. He looks unsure of what to say, so I start.

"I'm good Kaiden. I don't need a babysitter."

He turns to raise an eyebrow at me and I cringe at my statement, thinking back to yesterday's events.

I quickly try to retract it. "You know what I mean, and it's not like I can go anywhere even if I wanted to. So don't think that you're going to come waltzing in here to be my hospice—"