19 : Visitor

I instinctively summoned my dagger upon opening my eyes.

Halos mapasigaw ako nang may makita akong mukha sa harapan ko. If it weren't for his exceptional reflexes, he would have received a fatal blow. Paano ba naman kasi ay nakaupo lang siya sa gilid at seryosong nakatingin sa akin.

"What the heck are you doing?"

"Ang tagal mong gumising," he complained.

Pagtingin ko, he was already putting his cloak. Napaupo naman ako.

"You're leaving?" tanong ko.

He turned his head to my direction. "Why? Want me to stay?" he taunted.

"No," I muttered as I rolled my eyes.

He chuckled as he readied his dagger. "That brat's persistent," he said. "I can feel his intent even from afar. I need to get away."

"Why don't you just tell him directly that you don't want to be part of the rebellion?"

"His parents are stubborn," he added. "Do you think that brat won't be? And I didn't say I don't want to be a part of it." His face darkened and for a second, I could feel his killing intent. "I'd help them in the shadows. I just don't want to become a pawn anymore."

Bigla ko namang naalala si Akemi nang sabihin niya 'yon. She lived her last years as a pawn of both tribes and only became free from everything when she died. And just a few months ago, her daughter almost suffered the same fate.

My train of thought dissipated when he started walking toward the door.

"I see," I muttered. "Then, goodbye, I guess?"

"But there's a problem."

Iyon pala ay hindi siya makaalis sa cabin dahil activated na ulit ang detectors sa gubat. It seemed like last night, somehow, most of the markers and detectors around this area were turned off and that was how he got in easily.

Pagtingin ko ay madilim pa sa labas at pasikat pa lang ang araw. Still, I had to deactivate the markers so he could go away without causing any disturbance. I'm sure the staffs don't want any, too, especially during the holiday.

It took me a few minutes to finish everything. I had to double check just in case I skipped some detectors that might trigger an alarm. Nang matapos iyon ay agad siyang lumabas.

"May I visit her?" tanong niya.

Tumango naman ako. The only place without any detectors was that part of the grassland. Hideo wanted her grave to be a safe place for everyone to visit, especially to his daughter.

His cloak fluttered as he walked silently toward that direction. Tahimik lang din akong nakasunod sa kanya. Nang makarating kami roon ay hinayaan ko siyang lumapit kay Akemi. I stayed behind a nearby tree and watched him as he stood quietly in front of her grave.

It took me a moment to realize someone else was around. Nagulat na lang ako nang lumabas si Rainie mula sa gubat. Our gazes met and we were surprised to see each other.

There was a hint of fear on her face. "M-Ma'am Michiko?"

"Rainie . . . what are you doing here?"

Her shoulders tensed. "Uhm, g-gusto ko lang po sanang dalawin si Mama."

"At this hour?"

She must be anxious because she let her guard down. Now, her mind was just open for me to read her thoughts. It seemed like this was the first Christmas that she felt truly happy. Naomi would always get sad whenever the year is ending because of what had happened years ago and Rainie didn't want to force her to celebrate the holiday and her birthday with at least a happy mindset.