16 : Reunion

Sa nagdaang mga taon ay itinuon ko ang atensyon ko sa pagtuturo. I wanted to help the kids learn about basic techniques in fighting to survive in the real world. I never wanted them to experience what we had gone through. If they strive to be strong, they could protect themselves and their loved ones.

Hideo was doing better, too, despite the constant nightmare. He had been trying his best to be a good leader and a father to Hiro. He said he wanted to be busy so that he wouldn't drown in his own thoughts and memories.

"Finished?" tanong ko habang nakaupo sa couch at naghihintay na matapos siya sa paperworks niya.

He sorted the files on his desk. "Five more minutes."

"Ang tagal naman," reklamo ko.

Whenever I feel some hunger for battles, I would ask him to fight with me as we are relatively on par with each other. It also helps us relieve stress from administrative works, especially me, since my brain wasn't wired for that kind of stuff.

"You should find another training partner when I'm busy," he commented while giving me a meaningful glance. "Still waiting for him?"

I glared at him but he just continued with what he was doing.

Hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala na alam niya ang mga nangyari noon. I remembered how he vaguely brought that topic up few months after Mayu and Akira's wake. He told me to be careful and I realized he was talking about him.

"I don't want you to go through what I went through," he said that time. "But I want to see you happy, too. Whatever happens, I'll support your happiness."

Even though he didn't directly say it, I knew what he meant and I was thankful for his words. We only had each other for the past few years and the only thing we could do to keep from crumbling was making sure that we were striving to be happy. That after these painful years of waiting, we would find our happiness and reasons for being alive.

Matapos ang ilang minuto ay tumayo na rin si Hideo. He took off his coat and loosened his necktie. We went to the farthest part of the Latens forest since we might disturb the campus once we started.

Somehow, both of us were spirited. Maybe because in a week, we would finally see Naomi and of course, he could finally look at her daughter.

Muli ko namang naalala noong sinabi niya sa akin ang naging desisyon ng Council fifteen years ago. He said they insisted that Naomi and Rainie should be brought back here to decide for their fate. Hindi ko alam kung paanong hindi iyon natuloy dahil hindi na niya sinabi ang ibang detalye pero nagpapasalamat ako na hindi sila bumalik dito.

We were covered in dust and sweat after an hour of fighting. It felt like both of our battle prowess became quite rusty since we hadn't taken any class S+ missions for years. It was a bit worrisome because we knew another war was looming. Rainie's existence would be used by both Senshins and Shinigamis.

Pagkatapos naming mag-training ay bumalik kami sa kanya-kanya naming bahay. Well, I went to my cabin instead. I was more comfortable here than my house in the campus.

Nahiga ako sa kama ko at napatingin na lamang sa kisame. It's been ten years since I last saw him and seven years since he last sent a message.

At first, I didn't want to admit it, but that guy helped me a lot of times. His presence was something I didn't know I'd miss when I'm alone. I remembered how I felt relieved after receiving a note from him seven years ago because that meant he was still alive.

Maybe he was still trying to find his former comrades. Maybe he was having a hard time evading all the Shinigamis who were chasing him. Maybe he couldn't use the Black Dimension that much because it was guarded by Rin's army. Or maybe he decided to just have a quiet life . . . away from everyone.