10: Short-lived

"How was it?" tanong ko matapos muling maglakad papasok sa hallway.

I followed Mayu to her lab as she continued checking the data she had gathered. She had been studying it for months and she would ask for me when they needed to see or monitor something inside.

"Hmm . . . looks like we are right," she muttered. She sat behind her desk and a holographic video of me appeared in front of her.

Lumapit ako sa kanya. "What did you find out?"

"The effects of that dimension aren't as detrimental as it should be," she continued. "Maybe because there was an external force or power that changed the matter interactions which then altered the spacetime continuum and its properties."

She explained something about quantum fluctuations but I didn't bother listening. Paniguradong hindi ko rin naman maiintindihan 'yon kahit anong explain niya.

I went back to my cabin to rest and instinctively sidestepped as I opened the door. The silent and vacant space came into my view. Napabuntong-hininga na lang ako. It had been a month since that guy left yet I still couldn't get used to his absence.

Ganito rin ang pakiramdam ko noong bumukod na sina Mayu at Hiroshi at naiwan akong mag-isa sa dorm. It was hard to adjust especially since Mayu and I had been together for years. Kaya nga minabuti ko na rin na sa cabin na lang tumira. It turned out this place would also have a lingering presence.

Bumagsak ako sa kama ko at tumingin na lang sa kisame. I summoned the dagger that was originally his because he stole mine.

"I shouldn't have given away my dagger," I muttered. "That was my favorite. Damn it."

Nagulat naman ako nang bigla akong may narinig na ingay mula sa labas. I gripped the dagger and carefully went to the door.

"Michiko!"

Ah. That voice.

Agad kong binuksan ang pinto at sumalubong ang mukha ni Akira. She flashed a grin and I knitted my brows when I realized she was in her training gears.

"Kohaku's gonna take care of Vivien today," she said. "Wanna train?"

I smirked in return. "Guess we're back to being training partners, huh?"

***

Akira almost got me after I taunted her. She was clearly not as agile as before but her power improved.

Napahiga na lang kami sa lupa matapos ang dalawang oras na paghaharap. We were covered in scratches and dirt but I still managed a smile while catching my breath.

I missed this.

Bumangon naman siya at humarap sa akin. "So, kailan ka pala magsisimula sa pagtuturo, Ma'am?"

Sinamaan ko siya ng tingin pero tinawanan lang niya ako. Nakakainis, pinaalala niya pa. Sir Eichii said I passed the preliminary training and seminars and I could start next academic year, which would be five months from now.

"Bwisit talaga 'yang si Hideo, pinahirapan pa lalo ang buhay ko," reklamo ko at muli siyang natawa.

"Mukha namang bagay sa'yong magturo," she remarked.

"Hindi talaga," I retorted. "Siya, si Mayu at si Naomi lang ang bagay magturo sa ating pito—"

Napahinto ako sa pagsasalita nang mabanggit ko si Naomi at ang bilang namin. The words hang heavily in the air and Akira gave a melancholic smile while looking at the clear sky.