06 : Family

"Hey."

Ilang segundo akong nakatayo lang sa pintuan dahil hindi ako makapaniwalang gising na siya. It's been days. I even thought he was already braindead.

Dahan-dahan akong lumapit sa kanya. He still looked deathly pale and sick. Dahil hindi ko siya madala sa Medical Department ay hindi ko alam kung papaano matitingnan ang internal organs niya.

"W-why . . ." he asked with difficulty, "can't I . . . m-move my body . . ."

Tumayo ako sa gilid niya. His breathing was ragged and it seemed like his condition was still critical, but at least, he was alive and awake.

"Your body was way beyond its limit," sabi ko at muling napatingin sa hiwa sa dibdib niya. "Hindi ka pa talaga makakagalaw lalo na at damaged pa ang internal organs mo."

He drew a shaky breath and he winced upon doing that. Even breathing must be painful for him. He must be running in adrenaline when he ambushed me here that time. Now, his body had given up on him.

Hinatak ko ang upuan sa gilid at umupo sa harapan niya.

'Was it a dream?'

My heart sank when I heard his thoughts. I remembered Hideo saying he didn't want to wake up if he dreamt about her. About them.

"It wasn't," I murmured, trying hard not to cry.

He turned to my direction with difficulty. "R-Ri . . . Rielle . . ."

"Gusto mo ba siyang makita?" tanong ko at marahan siyang tumango. "Then get well. Once you can move again, I'll bring you to her. Pwede ka na ring umalis pagkatapos."

He looked at me with a pensive expression but I averted his gaze. I still hate the rest of the Shinigamis for what they did to her. This guy, his eyes were the same—cold and ruthless—but they softened every time he called her name. I felt that hatred boiling inside me whenever I looked at him but I also remembered Akemi at the same time.

This guy was her Elite. Her friend, even though I know they don't use that term. At least, I wanted to be a little nice to him because he helped her escape.

'We're enemies,' he suddenly said. 'You don't have to act nice. I hate you, too, for what you did to her.'

Huminga ako nang malalim at sinarado ang isip ko. 'My enemies are those who made her suffer,' I replied. 'You helped her. You're her friend.'

He scoffed. 'Friend? What bullshit is that?'

'Ah, right. You don't use terms like that.'

He glared at me, which was kind of scary. 'I am her Elite. Her subordinate. I just did what I had to do.'

But you still failed, I wanted to say but I held back. We all failed in saving her.

Agad ko namang itinulak iyon sa likod ng isip ko. Ayaw kong umiyak sa harapan ng isang Shinigami.

'But she was labeled as a traitor by your tribe,' I retorted. 'Hindi ba dapat mas sundin mo ang mas nakakataas kaysa sa kanya? Yet you still risk everything for her sake.' I smiled at him. 'That loyalty is not just of a subordinate, but as a friend, or maybe even deeper than that.'

Bigla naman siyang tumingin nang napakasama sa akin kaya medyo napaatras ako.

'Piss off, Senshin. You don't fucking know anything.'

Napanganga na lang ako sa narinig ko. Man, I already know Shinigamis have foul mouths. Kahit si Akemi, walang galang magsalita madalas but this guy takes the cake. Ang sarap sabunin ng bibig.