29: In Your Dreams

Start from the beginning

"You should really put in a screen lock if you don't want people snooping around then." He said as we paused by the door, then, he fished out his keys from his pocket and proceeded to unlock the door.

"And you should learn to respect people's privacy!" I countered as he pushed open the door but he seemed to be done with the conversation as soon as we stepped inside.

"Thank you, Jesus! We're home, finally." Derrek exclaimed as we got into the apartment and walked over to the longest couch to crash down on it. I ignored the fact that he had said 'we're'. This wasn't my home but he had made it sound that way and I kind of liked it. "It's been a long ass day." He groaned as he closed his eyes and put his feet up on the arm of the couch. I gasped in horror at the sight.

"Are you crazy? Don't put your shoes up on the couch!"

"What?" He opened his eyes. "Why the hell not? It's my bloody couch."

"You'll ruin it." I walked over to him and attempted to pull his shoes off his feet.

"Tiara, what the hell?" He pulled his knees to his chest with eyes wide as they eyed me. His shoes were smack up on the seats now. It made me cringe but I was too tired to argue. It was his couch anyway. He could deal with whatever stains he imprinted on it.

"Whatever, Derrek." I yawned. "Good night."

"Sweet dreams, Annoying ass." He teased, using his new found nickname for me but I was too tired to respond, so, I ignored him instead.

*

I squeezed my eyes shut as the bright light almost burned them. The kitchen lights had switched on out of nowhere.

"What the hell are you doing?" I heard Derrek say and I slowly opened my eyes, squinting slightly as the brightness still hurt my eyes. The moment my eyes found him, I screamed. He had a knife in his hand as he stood just two feet away from me.

"Jesus! Are you planning on stabbing me with that?" I took a few steps away from him, just in case. I couldn't trust anyone holding a knife as "accidents" happened sometimes.

"It's 4am, Tiara. What are you doing?" He repeated, setting down the knife on the kitchen counter. He rubbed his sleepy eyes and I felt bad for waking him up. I had been moving very silently, however, I had no idea that there had been a pot up on the edge of the counter. I had ended up knocking it down and the loud sound most definitely woke Derrek up. Thankfully, the pot was practically empty.

"I was hungry." I told him. "Go back to sleep, I'll make something to eat."

"Its too late for that. I'm already up." He walked over to the pot discarded on the floor and picked it up, then, he set it down in the sink and looked inside. "Ugh! Luke was here. I told that idiot to always clean up after himself. I'm going to take back my spare keys from him. He's starting to feel like he owns the place."

"Agreed." I said as I walked over to grab the broom and dustpan as Derrek discarded the remaining pieces of food in the pot into the waste bin. Luke was something else, really. It was about time Derrek ruled him with an iron fist.

I crouched down and packed up the pieces of food on the floor before walking over to the bin beside Derrek and emptying the pieces into it. Derrek glanced down at me with a look I couldn't recognize but I couldn't attempt to decipher it as he turned his attention back to the pot in front of him.

"What are you craving?" He asked as he started to wash the pot.

"Hmm?" I hummed as I set the cleaning tools back where I had taken them from, then, I turned back to Derrek, who was scrubbing on the pot with an iron sponge. I walked over to him and leaned on the counter behind him.