51: Don't Play Dumb

A/N:

Thanks for the 8k reads!!!

❤️❤️❤️

If I had known that Derrek would have been standing behind Tosin's door when I arrived, I probably would have waited for Naborhi to park instead of jumping right out in the spirit of getting the night over with. If I had known Derrek would have stared down at me with those icy eyes, I might have never showed up at all but here I was on the other side of the door, staring up at Derrek with so much to say to him but I could never find the words to.

"Hi." I managed to mutter, swallowing nervously right after. I waited for him to reply but much to my dismay, he side stepped me and walked out into the hallway. I glanced back watching as he retreated to the end of the hallway and cornered into the stairwell.

I felt a pang of pain in my heart seeing as Derrek had just ignored me. Had I done something wrong? I hadn't seen him since the night he had tried to kiss me, so, what was this all about?

I tried to shake it off as I walked into the house. I was here for Tosin and not Derrek. Walking into the living room, I saw it was filled with over a dozen people; friends, family and acquaintances of Tosin. I could spot her younger sister ahead, chatting animatedly with some women I couldn't recognize.

"Tiara!" Lola screeched as soon as she spotted me. She rushed up to me and wrapped her arms around me.

"Lola, how are you? It's been so long." I smiled as she pulled away. "You're so grown up now." I said as I took a clearer look at her. I hadn't seen her for about three years after she had graduated from secondary school. Tosin had informed me that she had moved back home to the West where their parents lived until she got an admission into the university. I hadn't seen her since.

"The glow up is unbelievable, isn't it?" She struck a pose and I laughed. She hadn't changed at all. I was glad.

"Yeah. We'll have to be fighting off all the boys now." I teased and she laughed, shaking her head.

"Let them come. I enjoy the attention."

Someone called Lola over a moment later and she promised to catch up soon before scurrying off in the opposite direction.

"So many old faces here today. I haven't seen some of these guys since secondary school." Naborhi appeared beside me and I jump in fright. I hated it when she sneaked up on me. She looped her arm through mine and led me over to the table of drinks. There were several beverages to chose from, ranging from water and soda to non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks.

"I hope Alex's planning on proposing tonight." Naborhi said as we looked through the drink choices.

"What?" My eyes widened in shock. "He's gonna propose?" I said in a low voice so the people around couldn't hear what I'd said.

"I don't know." Naborhi sighed as she grabbed a canned coke. "I mean, most of Tosin's siblings are here and all her friends are here too. Alex spent a lot on this party. Don't you think there might be more to this surprise?"

"He's freaking loaded. There's nothing wrong in just spending money on his girlfriend on her birthday." I said, trying not to think too deep into it. I thought about what Naborhi had said for a moment and I gasped as something hit me. "Oh my God! I think he's going to propose!"

I had just remembered that I had seen Alex at a jewelry shop about two weeks ago when I had gone with my mom to get a new watch for herself. I hadn't thought too much into it, thinking that he was probably getting something nice for Tosin but thinking back now, maybe he was there to buy an engagement ring.