62: Not Murder But Close

A/N:

Thanks for the 14k reads!!!

❤️❤️❤️

Also, please ensure to read the Author's note at the end of the chapter. I'll be passing across some information concerning this book.

"Are you sure you're up for this?" Derrek asked for the umpteenth time as we walked out of the airport.

I had decided not to leave, shortly after Derrek had informed me that Candice had sent text messages and proof of Derrek's and my fake engagement. The cat was out of the bag and it terrified me, however, my friends had come all the way here to stop me from leaving even after finding out that I had lied to them for months.

Derrek had said they had called him on their way to the airport and they had sounded worried about me. Maybe I hadn't given them enough credit. It was clear now that they weren't going to abandon me like I had initially thought. I couldn't bring myself to leave after all.

After breathing in and out so much air that it had caused me to feel light headed for a few seconds, I decided to step out to face my friends. They had spotted me almost immediately as they had only been a few feet ahead and I felt my heart began to pound in my chest. I had expected them to yell at me or even hit me but they said nothing. The silence was uncomfortable and they could barely look at me but I couldn't blame them. They must have felt betrayed.

Derrek told them that I had agreed to come back home and with a mere nod, all three girls turned around and walked away. I followed behind them with Derrek sticking close to my side the entire time, asking me if I was okay every passing minute.

Finally, we were out of the airport and the girls were stood by Naborhi's car with their arms crossed and a frown on their faces. Benjamin was no where to be found and his car wasn't where he had parked it earlier on. I felt my heart ache at the thought of him being mad at me. I needed to explain this to him somehow but what could I say? I didn't have a good enough explanation for any of this. I had lied to everyone I cared about and for what? I had a lot to be thankful for but I couldn't see that until this disaster blew up in my face.

I stood awkwardly, occasionally glancing at my friends as I waited for them to say something but soon, I realized they weren't going to say anything and decided to speak up instead.

"You guys must hate me right now." I said, giving an awkward laugh right after as I fiddled with my finger nails.

Naborhi was the first to glance at me with a scowl on her face. She looked like she was about to hit me while Ziora and Tosin just looked disappointed.

"You tried to leave the country without saying a word to any of us and now, we find out that you have been lying to us about your relationship with Derrek!" Naborhi yelled and I flinched from her loud tone.

Ziora placed her hand on Naborhi's shoulder in an attempt to calm her down and the latter took in a deep breath before completely turning away, brushing her hand over her black, straight wig.

"This is not the right place to talk about this." Ziora said, barely glancing at me and the other girls nodded in agreement.

"We should head over to my house." Tosin offered and they nodded in agreement.

Without another word, Naborhi headed over to the driver's side of her car and unlocked it, then, she got in and slammed the door shut. Ziora and Tosin followed after her and I blinked rapidly as I felt tears rise up in my eyes. They were really upset with me and I had no idea how I was going to fix this.

"You want me to give you a lift?" Derrek asked and I nodded in response before catching the tear that fell from my left eye.

We walked over to Derrek's car in silence and for most of the ride, I had been fidgeting, running different scenarios through my mind and I became even more tense.