75: Everyone Struggles

A/N:

Thanks for 22k reads❤️❤️❤️

I love you guys ❤️❤️❤️

"It's Ruby." Benjamin said and I instantly became anxious. My heart began to pound against my ribcage and it suddenly felt scorching hot in the 20°c temperature of my room.

"R-Ruby? I-Is she okay?" I was scared to hear the answer to my question.

"Ruby had a seizure and flatlined a few minutes ago."

"Jesus!" I screamed out loud with eyes wide open. "Is she—"

"The doctors got her back but she's in a critical state. I don't know what went wrong but the doctors are doing the best they can for her." He informed and I sat back on the bed, still in shock. Ruby was currently fighting for her life and even after all she had done to me, I didn't want her to die.

Tears began to fall from my eyes and my heart felt tight and uncomfortable as I thought of the state my cousin was in. Benjamin settled down beside me and wrapped his arms around me in an attempt to comfort me.

I closed my eyes tightly and said a desperate prayer to God. I hadn't been the most faithful Christian lately but I was aware of the grace and mercy of God and I knew if I cried out to Him to save the life of my cousin, He was going to hear me and help Ruby. My feelings about her didn't matter in that moment, all that mattered was her life, everything else could have been dealt with after she had woken up.

"Do you want to come with us to the hospital?" Benjamin asked after my sobs had subsided and I nodded.

Benjamin and I soon headed to the hospital in his car, following right behind my parents car and while we were on route, I had called Derrek to cancel our breakfast plans. He had said he was just about to reschedule as well, as something urgent had come up. He had sounded like something had been bothering him but I didn't question him about it and hung up instead.

Ruby's parents had been in the visitor's room when we arrived at the hospital. I said a quick greeting and walked away to a corner before they thought to shout at me. My parents had already informed them that I hadn't been the one to hurt their daughter but it didn't seem like they believed them. They probably still blamed me.

"Is there any news on Ruby?" I heard my Dad asked my Aunt and Uncle and they shook their heads in response.

"They won't tell us anything!" Ruby's mom, Elaine sounded like she was about to cry but she was trying her very best to hold it together.

"Let's keep on praying for her recovery. I'm sure she will be alright." My dad said to console them and they nodded before Aunt Elaine took a seat while Uncle Dare left the room with my dad.

After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, I decided to step out and call Derrek up. Until the doctors updated us on Ruby's condition, all we could do was wait anxiously for news and I couldn't take anymore of it. I needed a distraction.

"Derrek, hey." I spoke as Derrek picked up at the second ring.

"Hi." He answered dryly.

"Uh, what are you up to? You sounded like something was bothering you when I called earlier. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah." He answered monotonously once again and I felt a little hurt. In that moment, I felt like I had been bothering him and he didn't want to speak to me. What had changed since we made breakfast plans? Was it something I did or was everything not okay with him?

"Oh, um, I—" I paused when I heard a feminine voice calling for Derrek from the other side of the phone. Who was that?

"Let's talk later, Tiara." Derrek suddenly said and before I could respond, he hung up, leaving me confused.