Chapter 18-Lost & Found

Start from the beginning

Sammy was about to open his mouth when Zayn held up his hand and shook his head. 

All he did was wait until the young man glanced up.  He saw Zayn's stern glare and his jaw went slack.  He suddenly began to cough. 

"One moment, sir!"  He said breathlessly.  "We'll get your table ready, for you and your guests, straight away!"

"See that you do."  Was all Zayn said.

A minute later the maître d' left them at the best table in the restaurant. 

Hope was awed in spite of herself as she looked around. 

The interior was designed in a Moroccan style, with intimate low ceilings made of stucco and covered with frescoes of flowers.  Torches lit the walls and candles flickered on tables. 

As their waiter came to tell them about the specials, Zayn cut him off with a raised hand, his attention far across the dining room. 

Hope, Sammy and Chris follow his gaze.

And it was like time stood still. 

It was Jack, a wicked grin curving his mouth as his eyes zeroed in on her.  Hope was instantly hit with the instability she sensed in Jack.  

Zayn rose to his feet, with every intention of warning him off.  Hope's safety was his number one concern, and around Jack, he knew she wasn't safe. 

"Hope, stay exactly where you're seated.  We have an unexpected guest that needs seeing out."

She appeared scared, capturing his arm in a strong restraining grip.  "Be careful."

"Sammy."  He only said his name and nudged his head in Jack's direction, queuing him to get up and follow his lead.

Chris stood as well.

Jack strode in further into the restaurant, approaching their table. 

"We gonna kick some ass Hercules?"  Sammy asks, right behind him. "You know Hercules had a sidekick."

Zayn's face did not change in the slightest and simply ignored him.

Out of the corner of his eye, he recognized a figure beside Jack, Colin, Jack's step-brother.  Zayn had only met the man on two different occasions.  He didn't know much about Colin except that he was an aristocrat, an Earl to be exact.   The man kept to himself and was rarely seen in the public eye. 

"Lily?"

Colin said it in a tortured whisper going around Jack trying to reach their table. 

Sammy and Zayn shared an open-mouthed glance, reeling from the name and who it was directed at. 

Hope.

Zayn's chest closed up tight.  

This cannot be happening.  Not now. 

The name sounded foreign to Hope's ears.  Lily?

He spoke as if he was familiar with her. 

"Who are–"

"I'm Colin."  He said urgently, desperation shining from his eyes.  "Your husband."

Her words broke off, sputtered, and died as she stood from her chair.  Dismay surged through her to the point she could scarcely breath.  She could only stare at him, her mouth open, and her heart galloping too fast, painfully fast. 

Then it shattered.  Her heart. 

"No. . .no."  She whispered, shaking her head, gazing dazedly at him.