Chapter 16

Kirishima's POV

"I feel really bad about what happened. I feel even worse though because Midoriya is beating himself up over it. I understand where he's coming from, but I really wish I could change the way Midoriya is thinking about this. I wish I could change his home situation and make him feel like he's safe and protected." I told Kat as we stood outside our homeroom classroom, waiting for Midoriya to finish his conversation with All Might.

"I know." He said.

"I just feel so useless. I can't do anything!" I shouted, my eyes becoming slightly watered. "I can't help prevent the panic attacks, I can't protect him from his father, I can't take away those painful memories he has. I just can't and I hate myself for it!" Katsuki instantly wrapped his arms around me and I cried in his chest. 

"Don't say that God Damnit. We will protect him, we will make sure that he feels safe, but it's just going to take some time. We have to help him heal. We have to make sure he can't go home and we have to make sure we are there to get him through every panic attack. We will do it, we just can't do it overnight. Please don't hate yourself because of this. It's not your fault." He pulled back away from me slightly and used his hand to lift my chin so that I was now looking at him. "We will do the best we can and that's all we can do. That's all that matters." He finished.

I nodded my head as I used my sleeve to wipe away the fallen tears. "Ok. I just care about him and I don't want him to suffer anymore."

"I know and we'll get him through this. I promise." He whispered.

As we finished this conversation, the door to the classroom opened and Midoriya stepped out. "Were you guys waiting for me?" He asked.

"Yeah. We wanted to walk back to the dorms with you." I answered him, with a light smile on my face.

"Oh." He said. "Uh, Kiri, is everything ok? Your eyes are red." He pointed out.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine. I just got something in them earlier is all." I lied off.

"Alright."

"What did All Might want to talk about?" Kat asked.

Midoriya looked down at the ground. "N-Nothing really. J-Just about w-what happened earlier today and about t-training."

"What about training? Is it true that All Might works with you separately?" I asked, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"I-I guess. H-He's just trying to help me no l-longer break my f-fingers." He said.

For some reason, I don't think that's the full story. I can't help but think back on the conversation Kat and Midoriya had awhile back. One where they mentioned the idea that Midoriya was quirkless.

I tossed it to the side at first, thinking maybe he was just a late bloomer, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

It's weird how he doesn't know how to control his quirk at all, almost as if he just got it, but it's also ironic how at first it seemed very similar to All Might's quirk. It's different now that he uses his legs more than his arms and fingers, but still.

I should ask Kat about it later. He seems to know more than me and I don't want Midoriya to go into a panic attack if he feels cornered by my questions.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked instead.

"Oh uh. I a-actually wasn't planning on heading back to the dorms quite yet." He explained.

"Where are you going?" Kat asked.

"I was gonna do some more training, maybe go on a run."

"Haven't you trained enough for today?" I asked concerned. The last thing he needs is to be overworking himself.