Chapter 53

One week later... 

It was late morning and the sun was shining bright into the bedroom, but Emma refused to wake up. Life on the ship had changed drastically. Her captain began to drink more and more and the light in his eyes slowly died out every day. He shouted at his crew on several occasions for minor situations and his smile seemed nonexistent throughout the day. Killian was still very loving and caring towards Emma but her magic had begun to feel a dark presence on the ship ever since the night she became drunk. She tried not to think much into it, she knew being out on the sea brought back many sad memories to the captain and he had confided that he had much on his mind. She also knew better than to push him when he was in one of his sour moods...

Emma rolled onto her side, stretching her arm out in hopes of finding Killian, but instead found a cold empty space. She should have known by now he was definitely ready to start the day, never being one to sleep in past the sunrise.

Accepting that it was now time to start the day, the princess made her way out of bed and into the main room to find her pirate hovering over their desk, observing something she couldn't catch a glimpse of. "What are you looking at?" She asked sweetly, leaning against the door frame.

The captain quickly hid whatever he was looking at, "Nothing, love."

"Okay." She laughed, "I missed you when I woke."

Killian smirked as he made his way over to the princess, "I tend to have that effect." He responded, leaning in for a quick kiss. "I'm planning on making port in a few days, I suggest you make a list of anything you desire."   

"Everything I desire is right here." Emma replied, staring straight into Killian's eyes.

God he loved her. Her voice always carried a soft tone full of love, her messy blond curls and her red cheeks from morning sleep was one of his favorite sights. The way her forest green eyes always hypnotized him and her soft blood-red lips he swore he could kiss all day... not to mention how she wore his black shirt to bed every night, making her even more irresistible. she was gorgeous, more than gorgeous, and she was all his.

He couldn't help but lean in for another kiss, savoring their alone time. She always managed to clear his mind of any negative thoughts and emotions. He had many of those lately... Emma placed a hand on the back of his neck, deepening the kiss. The pirate gently pushed her against the wall, never breaking their kiss. He began to let his hands wander to her waist, then stopped. He broke the kiss, not feeling as in the moment as he had hoped.

Killian was never one to turn down a kiss from his princess, let alone be the one to break it off. Emma looked at him to find his eyes had a hurricane of emotions brewing. He looked everywhere but not into the princess's forgiving eyes. She didn't feel a dark presence this time, she felt a sorrowful one. Emma took note of this, "Is something the matter?" She asked flushed.

The captain opened his mouth to speak, but couldn't find the right words. He moved his eyes back and forth in an effort to think of something to say, anything at all instead of his silence. He wanted to tell her what he was feeling, how much pain this certain day brought. But before he had a chance to answer there was a knock at his door. "Captain?" A small, scared, voice called out.

Relieved for the interruption, Killian went to answer the door, finding his first mate standing there with his red cap in hand. "What is it, Mr. Smee?"

"One of the men spotted a ship out in the distance." He trembled.

"You came down to my quarters to inform me of a bloody ship?" The captain fumed, raising his voice.