Chapter 12

The next morning...

Killian woke to footsteps on the upper deck, his crew was boarding the ship, ready to set sail. Emma was still asleep, her arms wrapped around Killian's neck hugging him tightly. He glanced down at her as best he could and rubbed her back trying to wake her.

"Get up love... It's almost time to set sail." Killian said whispering in her ear.

"Just stay here..." Emma said in a groggy tone, still half asleep.

"Oh, believe me, I would if I could." Killian said with a chuckle, fully awake.

"Can't Mr. Smee just do it." She responded, looking up to him with puppy dog eyes.

"Swan..." He responded, looking away so he wouldn't cave.

"Alright, alright, go on Captain Jones." Emma said, letting out a breath, finally releasing her arms from his neck.

Killian got up and placed a kiss on her forehead before he disappeared into his quarters to freshen up and then set sail...

Emma remained in bed, fully awake now. She just had the best night sleep of her life and she was sure that it was because Killian was beside her all night. The smell of leather, salt, and rum lingered in her bed, the smell of him. He always managed to help her forget her worries and assure her that in the end everything would work out. Something she was starting to believe. She believed that her parents would forgive her, her Kingdom would accept Killian, and she would forgive herself. She decided it was time to get out of bed, get ready for the day and see if she was needed above deck.

Meanwhile above deck, Killian took his normal place at the Jolly Rogers wheel. He watched as his crew took their positions. The sails were released, the anchor was beginning to raise and the wind was in their favor.

"Everyone is here, Captain!" Mr. Smee reported.

"Aye... When we are far enough out, bring the prisoner from the brig on deck." Killian responded, referring to the stable boy.

"Yes sir!" Smee responded before meeting up with some other members of the crew.

Today his punishment would be served. Killian was sure to make the man pay for what he tried to do to Emma. He was sure his crew would enjoy it as much as he would as they loved Emma as well, who wouldn't. He secretly hoped she would stay below deck when the punishment was given so she wouldn't see that side of him... the unforgiving side of him. If she was on deck when it happened he wasn't sure what he would do... would he continue with the punishment or would he stop dead in his tracks when he saw her...

Soon enough they were finally out in the middle of the ocean and Mr. Smee and some other crew members went to go retrieve the stable boy. For the first time ever he was glad that Emma could take forever to get ready. He hoped she would stay below reading his books or scribble in her journal just so he could properly deal with the man and still be in her good graces. She knew the tales of the unforgiving man but seeing was something he was sure she wasn't ready for.

"Captain! The prisoner is now on deck." Mr. Smee said to Killian.

"Thank you, Mr. Smee..." The captain responded, looking at the scrawny man who was on his knees.

Killian crouched down to the man's level, inches from his face.

"Do you know why you're here?" Killian asked, only for the stable boy to hear.

"If it's about that wench, I don't see the issue, Captain" He responded, boldly.

"What's your name?" Killian asked, trying to remain calm.

"Will." The stable boy responded.

"Well, Will... do you see all these men on my ship?" Killian continued on.

"Yes?" Will questioned.

"All these men and I happen to be very fond of the lass you tried to force yourself upon... and do you know what happens when you anger a ship full of ruthless pirates?" Killian said, fury finally escaping his voice.

"You've all gone soft! For what, that woman!" Will laughed, holding nothing back.

Killian's temper was finally lost and he swung his fist as hard as he could against the man's face. Will winced in pain as his nose poured blood all down his neck. Killian grabbed the man by the shirt, picking him up.

"Do you have any more comments you'd like to make?" Killian said, full anger in his voice and on his face.

"N-No, sir..." Will said in terror.

"That's what I thought." Killian said, releasing the man with a push, making him fall to the ground.

Killian glanced around the deck to find Emma on the far side, he wasn't sure how long she had been there. Once they made eye contact she headed below deck.

    "Break his fingers one by one! Do as you please, then throw him in the ocean with that anchor attached to him." Killian addressed his crew.

    "AYE CAPTAIN JONES!" They all responded ready to attack the man.

Killian quickly went below deck to search for Emma as his men took care of Will.

Emma was sitting on Killian's bed once again lost in her thoughts. She had come up onto the deck to find Killian whispering to the man who had been on top of her the day before. She couldn't make out what he was saying, then out of nowhere Killian struck the man. She was sure there was a good reason, Emma knew how far you had to push him to make him react like that. She wasn't mad at him, nor feared him. In fact, she thought the stable boy deserved far worse. It was just so different to see him like that and she needed a moment to process it.

"Swan! I'm sorry you had to see that... He... I ..." Killian rambled, trying to find the right words to explain.

"I'm not upset." Emma said, gesturing for Killian to sit next to her.

"I just couldn't look at him and not get mad... The thought of what he could have done to you... I could never forgive myself if it happened." Killian admitted in a sad tone, sitting next to the princess.

"I know... It's not your fault either." Emma responded softly, looking at Killian.

Killian just sat there in silence, he was the one lost in thoughts this time. The fear of losing Emma consumed him, the fear of falling back into the darkness he was trying to escape was always following...

"You know if this happened back in Misthaven, he would have been dead at the scene... so don't think for a second that I'm scared of you, because I'm not." Emma said reassuringly.

"I'm sorry I lost my temper, I just want to protect you from all the darkness I've seen." Killian responded with honesty.

"I know, and that's why I love you..." Emma said, placing a kiss on his cheek.

"You what?" Killian said, shocked at the last part.

"I... forgive you." Emma said, avoiding the last part, scared of his response.

"No no no, the last part." Killian said with a smile as Emma blushed.

"I love you." Emma responded looking into his eyes, cheeks bright red.

"Oh, do you now?" Killian said with a huge smirk on his face.

"Is that such a surprise?" Emma asked, still a little embarrassed, heart racing.

"You know I'm the one who's supposed to say that first..." Killian responded, grabbing her hand to hold.

"Yeah... and..." Emma pushed a little.

"I love you too." Killian responded, pulling her in for a long lingering kiss.

Hello!! I've been writing a lot lately and I was wondering if you guys would like to see Emma with magic or would you prefer she didn't have any???
As always leave comments, suggestions, anything!! :)