Chapter 58

That same night...

Emma walked a dark dirt path alone in no particular direction. She just needed some time to be alone with her thoughts, without any interruptions. Sadly she couldn't head to the Jolly Roger, it would be the first place Killian would come running after her, the second would be the inn he was planning on taking her to spend the night. Unfortunately, she didn't know this island too well so all she could do was walk until she found her way back.

The princess knew Killian had been acting differently lately. It was more than his usual stress of being the captain, she knew that much. He handled being captain quite well and he ran a tight ship with loyal crew members, so what could he be so worried about? Their journey was going well with very little delay. The weather was in their favor and they rarely had to make port. These were all good things. Jamie was less of a problem than anyone thought, so he couldn't be the cause of stress. The captain was finally getting enough sleep and enough food, so he was taking care of himself and they had discussed their relationship many times and determined it was solid. Sure he wasn't a fan of anyone coming near her without his permission but he never resorted to such violence before, at least not intentionally in front of her... what could be bothering so much that he had to take it out on someone else? She couldn't put her finger on it.

As Emma was lost in thought she inhaled the fresh smell of oak coming off of the trees. It almost reminded her of home. The sound of trees blowing in the wind and the calming smell of soil under her feet. She remembered many hunting lessons her parents used to give her, they would tell her to become one with the earth. Move with the wind, listen to the forest, feel the dirt under your feet shift...

Her thoughts were cut short with a sudden sound of a branch breaking. The princess quickly turned to the source of the sound, releasing the dagger she kept at her waist, "Who's there?" She called out.

The princess tried to make her breathing steady as she was taught but she couldn't help it, she started breathing heavier and louder as she slowly kept turning around. Damn herself for wandering off alone...

"You're quite aways away from the tavern where your pirate is." A strange voice called out.

"Who are you?" She asked, turning to the sound.

The British man laughed, "You're gonna break an old man's heart." He said as he revealed himself from behind a tree.

"Captain Blackbeard." Emma announced lowering her dagger, "Are you here to lose another fight?" She smiled as she remembered their last encounter.

"As much as it may dismay you, no." The bearded man responded, "I would like to kidnap you, take you for ransom, maybe have some fun in between." He laughed out.

The princess's face showed nothing but disgust, "Well if you think I'm just going to leave with you, you'd be terribly wrong."

"On the contrary." He responded, walking towards her, "I brought my crew..."

Before Emma had time to think a man grabbed one of her arms as another man grabbed the other, pinning them behind her back. Another one of Blackbeard's crew members took her dagger from her waist and threw it to the side where she couldn't reach. She started to panic, now she had no weapon...

"Help! Help!" She screamed out, not knowing what else to do.

"Cover her mouth!" Blackbeard screamed.

And in no time her hands were tied behind her back and her mouth had a filthy rag in it. His crew placed her on a nearby log to sit as Blackbeard and some of his other men argued over what to write in the ransom note.