Chapter 17

Two days later...

It was early morning and Mr. Smee was steering the Jolly Roger. He announced that they would reach port any moment now. Killian was relieved. Luckily none of his men died, many had minor injuries that were able to be treated on the ship and now all they needed were some fresh bandages that they would retrieve from the island they would soon reach. However, there were few in more critical conditions, they had deep wounds that would need more than just bandages and alcohol. The captain worried most about them, their fevers were rising by the hour and if they didn't make land today he was sure they would have a slow painful death.

Killian hasn't bothered to talk to Emma since his outburst. He wasn't mad at her, he never was. He knew Emma wouldn't stay put in the room or just stand by as all of the crew fought for her. Emma was too selfless for that, she always has been since the day they met, the day she saved August and many of her royal knights. In all honesty he was scared, more scared than he has ever been in his life. He thought he was going to lose Emma all because he couldn't keep her safe. Killian had let his fear get to him and he took it out on her... he knew better than anyone she could take care of herself if needed, she didn't need anyone to protect her. Now Killian was scared once again, scared that his outburst was the final straw. He was sure she didn't want to speak to him ever again, not that he blamed her...

Killian was glancing out into the ocean, hoping it would calm his thoughts. Instead, he saw the small island they were to dock at, he didn't even know the name of it. He was too occupied with healing his men and regretting his decisions about Emma. He needed to talk to her, to apologize... he grabbed his flask from his jacket and took several long sips of rum, hoping it would give him the courage he needs. He left Mr. Smee to dock the ship as he made his way below deck to Emma's door.

"Swan... can I come in?" Killian asked, gently knocking on her closed door.

"No... I just want to be alone..." Emma responded in a soft, broken, tone.

By the sound of her voice, Killian knew she had been crying. She was crying because of him... this made Killian hurt more than he already was. He was supposed to be protecting her heart, but instead he was breaking it.

"We've just docked, we'll only be here for the day... do you want to come and stretch your legs, get some food?" Killian pushed on in a soft tone.

"I rather just stay here." Emma said from behind the closed door.

"Would you like me to bring you back anything?" He asked, trying to show he wasn't angry at her.

"Please Killian, just leave me be!" She responded desperately.

"As you wish..." Killian said in a defeated tone.

He let out a loud breath and made his way above deck to go onto land to assist his men, leaving Emma in her small cabin. Mr. Smee offered to stay on the ship in case Emma needed something or changed her mind and decided she did want to walk the island. Killian was glad, he never liked asking his crew to stay on the ship when they made port. As much as they all loved the sea and being pirates, they did cherish their short time on land. It made them feel part of civilization and refreshed for a new adventure. At port they got informed of what happened in the world while they were at sea, they talked to other people besides each other, they ate better meals, tasted better rum, and even slept in better beds.

Once the captain was on land Mr. Smee went below to the ship's galley and got two plates and filled both with one boiled mackerel and some sliced fruits. The last two day's Smee has been bringing Emma her meals as she didn't want to come up to eat in the dining center and didn't eat the meals Killian left. Smee also thought Emma could use a friend to talk to, he was always ready to listen to her and give advice. Emma sometimes said he reminded her of her father, and he was honored.