CHAPTER 51

See na, this chapter is 7000+ words. I've been up all night writing this and it's so good.
Like I've been up since 11pm yesterday writing this... Do y'all see how much I love you guys?🙃
It might have more mistakes than usual but please bear with me. Since it's so long, there won't be a double update anymore, cuz it's the length of two chapters.

I dedicate this chapter to three of my readers; , & Thanks for the support girls.❣️

AZ
Song: Au Marriage de ma go - Locko

Today, Gramps and Shura will finally seal the deal. They'll get married and I will again be gifted by another step grandmother, the fourth. I used to mock her, to say Gramps was just fucking her and that they will end up the way the others did. Today, I'm being proven wrong. The numerous women in the firewood kitchen at the back of our house prove me wrong. They are cooking almost every possible meal; Koki, egusi pudding, Achu, ekwang, eru, cabbage, Kati- Kati... I've lost count. Apparently that isn't all because Gramps said the rest of the cooks were at Shura's place, cooking what? How many people will be here? The number of chairs displaced in the yard tell me there will be at least half a thousand.

Shura vehemently refused to let a catering service take charge of the food on her wedding, she said her cousin had had an awful experience with them once and she wasn't going to permit any chance at mirroring that. Her mom backed her up and even brought along three of Shura's aunties to taste the food too.

One of them talks too much, too loudly and she has a funny ass. You know the one that starts from the middle of your back? Right.

Her face is extremely fair but her feet are dark as shit. The dark knuckles on her fingers prove that she has used lotions that have been unkind to her skin. It's safe to say she's not pretty anymore, if she ever was. I don't like her.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her because of her dark knuckled toes, I mean the confusion in the distribution of her melanin is none of my business right?
Thing is, yesterday during the traditional wedding, I heard her say Shura only wants Gramps for his money. Fuck her.

Yes, I know... I shouldn't hate her because I was just like her months ago. But I've observed Shura and I've seen that that isn't the case at all. Shura is fucking amazing. She is too nice and there have to be one in three million people who are like her. Just the fact that she gave Gramps his ring back when I left shows that she's not here for the money or for selfish ulterior motives. She loves my Gramps and they deserve each other.

And she was right, they are well off. Their house is not like ours but it's decent. When we went there the first time for her knock-door(knock-door is a term used to describe a traditional ceremony during which the groom officially presents himself to the bride's family), her parents weren't open to the marriage, especially her dad. And I don't blame him. No father dreams of his daughter being the fifth wife to a 68year old man. They all want to walk their daughters down the isle in a long white dress and a veil. But that's not the case here, there won't even be a church wedding because... because this is Gramps's fifth marriage. And to top it all... Gramps is three years older than Shura's dad. Meaning that his son in-law was born before him. God...
I completely understood him when he said no the first time.

I'm not going to lie, I was kind of happy when he said no. But then, that was mean so I switched from that mood, especially when I noticed just how sad Gramps was. He and his friends went back there twice and were turned down both times. But then her mom called Gramps one Tuesday evening and told him she finally succeeded in convincing her husband. She made Gramps promise to love her daughter and take care of her and he did. The joy on Gramps's face after that call made me smile.

Today morning, Gramps went to the gym. He said he had to let out the steam and anxiety but with the way he is pacing up and down the living room right now, I know the workouts didn't do him any justice.