Party Preparations

Start from the beginning

"We spend a lot of time together, don't we, Twinkle Toes?" Toph argued.

"Sure," Aang replied. "By I'm not complaining if we get a little more!"

Toph jabbed him in the arm with a grin. Ty Lee's giggles could be heard from ahead of the couple as walked through the crowds carrying Katara's bags. They had long given up trying to go back to the car and drop off the bags for fear of losing Katara in the crowd. She was on a mission and she was not stopping for anything.

"Still haven't found anything for Zuko?" Toph asked as they entered another store.

"I think it's cute how hard she's trying," Ty Lee said.

"You have no idea how hard he is to shop for!" Katara said. "The only thing he really likes is swords and martial arts. And I am not giving him anything sharp with his sister in the same room."

"I'm sure Zuko'll like anything you get him," Aang told her confidently.

"I know, but I want it to be something special."

Aang took a moment to look around the shop that they had entered. There were oil paintings hanging on the wall, fans adorned with decorative calligraphy, and many small antique statues. From what he knew of Zuko, this was not a very likely place to find anything he would like.

"Ooh! Look at this pretty kitty statue!" Ty Lee squealed. "Aang, come and get it down for me!" She grabbed Aang by the hand and dragged him down one of the many aisles giggling merrily. Toph made to follow after them, but Katara took hold of her hand and pulled her in the opposite direction.

"Katara, let me go," she ordered.

"Did you find anything for Aang yet?" she asked.

"No," she answered. "But you heard what he said. Anything a five year old would like."

"Yeah, but you don't really want to get him a toy for Christmas, do you?"

Toph had been thinking about that lately. She didn't really want to get him a toy, but the more she thought about it, the more it seemed like the perfect gift for him. That and she couldn't really think of anything else to get for him.

"When you can tell me what you're gonna get for Zuko, then I'll tell you what I wanna get Twinkle Toes," Toph told Katara.

Toph also realized that if Katara was asking her about this, then Aang was probably going through the same thing with Ty Lee right now. Poor guy.

"Is this the one?" Aang asked as he pulled a ceramic cat down off the shelf.

"So cute!" Ty Lee squealed when he handed it to her. "Isn't it precious?"

"I guess," Aang answered.

"You should so get this for Tophy!" Ty Lee said. "Or did you already get her something? Is it cute? Or fluffy? Or both?"

"No," Aang said as he waved his hands in front of himself. "I haven't really gotten any good ideas yet. I mean it's harder to shop for her than I thought. Everything I think of has to do with being able to see the present. The only thing I keep coming back to is a CD or something."

"You could always make her one," Ty Lee suggested. She eyed the kitty statue and noticed the tail was pointing almost straight down. When she lifted the tail to a vertical position, she felt gears turning inside. "Oooh! It's a music box!"

Aang lowered his head in defeat. Either this girl was intentionally making him worry about Toph's present, or she was more easily distracted than he was. The cat played a quiet, peaceful melody as its tail spun slowly in circles.