Eight

▛▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝▝ ▜

Lucy stood there, frozen in shock. She had no idea what to do, she had no idea what she had just witnessed, "That..." She struggled to speak at first, "That wasn't a bear, Michael," Lucy said to Mike. He walked past her and snagged a hunting rifled off the wall, he then went out the door, "Mike, what the fuck? Are you going after that thing!"

"We can't just let Jessica die!" He said to her, Lucy slowly nodded.

"I... I, yeah," Lucy agreed before she followed him out of the cabin. The two of them ran through the woods, shouting for Jessica. They didn't grab their jackets so the air was freezing, it felt like it was sticking to their skin. It stung their lungs as they ran, but they didn't stop. Lucy did her best to keep up with Mike, "That thing will kill us too," She then shouted towards Mike, who was a good distance in front of her.

"We have to take that chance," Mike shouted back, "We can't just leave her, she's our friend one way or the other!" 

Lucy sighed a she trudged alone, "Jess!" She shouted into the woods, studying her surroundings to see if she could spot her.

"Michael! Lucy! Help me!" Mike and Lucy heard Jessica shout from somewhere out in the woods. Mike looked through the scope of the rifle, trying to spot her. 

"Jesus, fuck, what is that thing!" Mike asked as he looked down a cliff; he knew this was the fastest route they could take.

Mike started to scale it, but slipped, "Mike!" Lucy shouted out, reaching out to grab him, but she ended up slipping as well. Mike managed to get ahold of a branch to slow his fall, but Lucy fell and hit his shoulder, sending the two of them barreling to the bottom of the cliff; the wind being knocked out of the lungs as they hit the ground.

"Fuck!" Mike gasped out as he sat up. Lucy gasped for air as she sat up as well. Mike managed to get to his feet, he helped Lucy up before he grabbed the gun. He took no time to keep going, but Lucy was struggling more than previously, she couldn't keep up with him. "Keep going!" Mike said to her as they maneuvered their way through the woods, jumping and ducking under logs and branches. They then neared yet another ledge, Lucy came to a stop, "We have to either jump or shimmy," Mike said to the girl who was struggling to catch her breath. 

"I... I don't know? Shimmy?" Lucy was disoriented, the previous fall did her no justice. Mike nodded, he shimmed over the narrow ledge first, holding onto Lucy's hand as she followed him. He squeezed her hand to reassure her, and they managed to get to the other end. There was finally a normal path for them to follow. They neared the mines after a short while, as they got closer, they could hear Jessica screaming.

"Help me!" Jess yelled out. The sound of her screams sent shivers down Lucy's spine.

"Michael," Lucy said quietly, "I don't- I don't want anyone to die..."

Mike didn't say anything, he just kept going. Jessica's yells could be heard again, "Oh! Oh, no, help me!"

Lucy and Mike finally got down into the mines, they ran down stairs and kept following the sound of Jessica's screams, "We're coming!" Mike shouted out into the mine.

"Help me, Michael!" Jessica screamed out. Mike tried to pick up his pace, Lucy struggled to follow the same pace, but she managed to.

They approached a mine shaft elevator, once they got in front of it, they say Jessica's body. Lucy held her breath at first, she wasn't sure if she was alive, "Jessica!" Mike said as he ran to the body, there was silence.

Lucy stepped forward, "Jess?" She said. Jessica was beat up and had deep scratches all over her body.

"Jess, are you okay? Oh, oh god," Mike said; he didn't have a clue what to do.

Lucy watched as Jessica attempted to move, "Help," Her voice was weak and soft. She sounded as if she had nothing left in her.

Lucy stepped forward to try to help her, there was a loud creak and the elevator fell a bit; Lucy fell backward onto the ground in front of Mike; this was before the elevator completely fell. She let out a scream as she watched it happened, Mike was quick to grab onto Lucy, pulling her into him; she held onto his forearm as she stared ahead of her in shock. She then noticed a figure staring down at them from the top of the elevator shaft, "Mike!" She pointed it out, he quickly looked up and lifted the rifle to try to shoot it, but he missed.

"Go!" He pointed towards the stairs; Lucy stood up and the two of them took off running after the figure. Lucy was no longer running on adrenaline, it was all fear. She struggled to keep up with Mike, but there was no way she was getting left alone in the mines. But, that's when she lost her footing, she let out a scream as she tried to grab onto something to keep herself from falling, but her body tumbled down a cliff, down into the heart of the mines. "Lucy!" Mike shouted out, "Fuck, shit... No!" Lucy could hear his shouting as she fell down the cliff. Her body hit sharp rocks and she lost any energy to grab onto something to help slow her fall. She finally came to a stop at the bottom of the cliff, her eyes closed as she laid there in the dirt. Her arms and legs were cut up pretty badly and she could barely feel pain any longer. "Lucy!?" Mike shouted down the cliff, "Oh... God, no," He stood there, feeling defeated. 

≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡ ≡≡≡≡≡

Lucy struggled to catch her breath as she laid there on the ground. Her head was spinning as she let out a cough, feeling blood drip down to her cheeks as she sat up slowly. She looked up the cliff she had just tumbled down, "Michael?" She shouted out weakly. She wasn't sure how long she had been down there, she was positive she had passed out. The mine was silent after she shouted. She could only hear the sound of water dripping somewhere off in the distance, "Michael?" She shouted more than once, she started to worry that he left her behind. She managed to get up on her feet, letting out a shaky breath as she did so. She was feeling lost, it wasn't a good feeling. There was some sort of killer-something out in the mines, and here she was. Alone with no sense of direction. 

All she could think about was the fact he left her alone down here...

▙ ▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▖▟