Second (And Third And Fourth) Chances

(WC: 1160
Category: Humor, soft angst
Warnings: None

I'm gonna be honest here, I kind of cheated on the storyline. I wrote a oneshot that I posted on AO3 a while back, called Cameraman. The original storyline was supposed to be less on the humor side and more on the hurt/comfort side. It felt like a waste to scrap it, so I decided to save the concept to use later. And, thankfully, I finally found a use for it!

This oneshot's beginning is somewhat similar to Cameraman, so AO3 peeps if you see a similarity that's why. These two can technically take place in the same universe, so I've put in some parallels as well

The stark difference between BadTimes in Alters and BadTimes in this is so jarring lmao--I've just turned him into a mere sarcastic fuck

Context for this story: The backstory I used for BadTimes in Alters applies here as well (I'll make it my default backstory for him from now on), as well as the thing BadTimes hinted about in Scar's past (which I still haven't cleared up,,) so later on in the story that's where all of that comes from.

Hope you enjoy!)

When you need direction

Look to the stars

If you don't know where you're heading

Follow your heart

The Shopping District was bare for the holidays. Not a whole lot of decorations made their way into the area, since most of the Hermits decorated their base for Christmas. That's where they would be spending their time, after all.

And then there was Scar, who went out and bought extra decorations to decorate Aquatown, complete with tacky inflatable Santas that were larger than your average human.

And he even dragged his Alter out to help him.

Unfortunately, BadTimes seemed more interested in complaining than helping Scar hang up the lights.

"Is this the only reason why you keep me around?" the alter groaned as he threw up a string of lights haphazardly above Threads By Scarra's door. "To lug a huge camera around for your timelapses and decorate your shops?"

"I appreciate the extra help, BadTimes," Scar said, perched on top of a tower of scaffolding to decorate the shop's roof. "Thanks for helping, BadTimes."

BadTimes scoffed under his breath, trying to untangle another string of lights from the box. "Ever think that, oh, I dunno, you might be going for too many decorations during Christmas?"

"Not at all. You can never have too many decorations."

BadTimes took a step back and surveyed the shopfront, which was barely visible because of all the neon lights. Every surface you could think of, there were lights. And that wasn't counting the other wreaths, inflatables, and garlands scattered around. "Okay. Sure."

"Great! Now, hand me that garland right there. Could you start to decorate the MooPOP Cafe?"

BadTimes grumbled under his breath, making sure it was loud enough for Scar to hear. Scar shot him a look like, Is it really so hard to help me for a little bit? He wanted to retort back, but you couldn't say no to Scar.

He rolled his eyes--though he wasn't actually that bothered--and dragged a string of lights that was longer than he was tall behind him to take to the cafe.

"Make sure you even them out," Scar called behind him. "You don't want lights to be clumped up in one area."

"They all look like they're clumped up," BadTimes groaned. "That's how many lights you bought."