Circles

(WC: 3130 (holy cow)
Category: Angst + hurt/comfort
Category: Major character death, derealization

Collab with WhoopsIJustDied! This was super fun to do. We had the idea during WC3 and fleshed it out in Discord DMs afterwards. We also started sharing a few other ideas that I'll get to writing soon! (I just need to finish Swap's editing, finally)

She also had the idea to write two alternate endings: one fluff, and one angst. She wrote the angst one, and I wrote the fluff one (which turned out to be more bittersweet than anything lmao). It was awesome seeing how we approached both endings :D

Enjoy!)

Sleeping peacefully

It wasn't the first time he'd had this dream.

Bdubs found himself sitting at the edge of the river that flowed next to his village base. The running water was soothing to him, and it helped him clear his thoughts. The stars shone brightly against a deep blue, almost black, sky. This was where he usually came to think or take his mind off things.

Unbeknownst to the other Hermits, though, it was also where his dreams always took place.

The girl I used to be

He tossed a small pebble into the water, watching small circular ripples expand from the point of impact before being washed away by the current. He glanced behind him, knowing what would come next.

It was always how this dream went. He had come to expect it by now.

Until I fell so deep
A neverending tragedy

On cue, a lone figure came into his view, gliding down gracefully before touching down in the grass with a small rustle. When they saw Bdubs's head turned towards them, they grinned a bit. "Were you expecting me or something?"

"Good to see you, too, Scar," Bdubs said truthfully as Scar took a seat next to him.

You haunt me in my dreams,
But it's all I want to see...

You're the oxygen I need, yet I can't breathe.

To be honest, this dream was one of the only reasons Bdubs had such a consistent sleep schedule. He was always quick to return to his bed and slip into unconsciousness the moment the sun began to dip under the horizon.

The waking world was anything but appealing anymore. Especially after Scar's...departure from the living world.

But he wasn't gone. Not in Bdubs' mind. No, he was right there, listening to him ramble about his day as they skipped stones and stargazed. Just like old times. Every single night he had this dream.

Circles, in circles, I go around,

Every single night he chased the familiar presence of his friend.

Looking for something that can't be found.

It was the closest thing to comfort that he could grasp.

And Scar provided that comfort. Or rather, his delusion of Scar provided that delusion of comfort.

"Hey, Scar..." Bdubs said tentatively. Even though he saw Scar every night, he still couldn't quite believe it. It felt just like having him back in the waking world...

Except in this fantasy reality, he had everything he needed.

Circles, in circles, without a sound,