Alternative ending

Start from the beginning

"What did you hear?" Romeo chuckles.

"Why are you laughing? You're laying in a fucking hospital bed".

"If you heard that Morgan shot me, she didn't. Her dad is Antonio Rivero and he shot me, but he was trying to shoot her so I pushed her out of the way. But now she says she feels guilty, despite not being the one to pull the trigger, and won't stay with me".

"Your dad is Antonio Rivero?" He stares at me, dumbfounded.

"Is that all you got from that? What about the part where I lied to him and he still wants me back? How am I supposed to live with myself?"

"Any time you were sad or scared before, what would you do?" Max asks.

I stop to think before mumbling, "I'd wait for Romeo to get back and go and lay with him".

"Why?"

"Because he makes me happy, and I feel safe in his arms".

"Do you still love him?"

"Of course I do".

"Then what's stopping you?" He gestures to Romeo.

"My conscience".

"Who cares about your conscience?" He pushes me slightly towards the bed and Romeo reaches out to entwine his fingers with mine.

"Please?" I turn to look at him before he pulls me down to press his lips to mine.

Oh great, the tears are back.

He wipes them away with his thumb, keeping his forehead on mine.

"Please?" He asks once again, his voice softer this time. "I love you".

"I love you", I cry, matching his tone.

"Does this mean you'll stay with me?" I nod and a huge grin breaks out on his face. "Really?" I nod, again. "I love you so much", he pulls me into a tight hug, almost as if he's afraid of losing me again.

"Okay okay, break it up. No need to go making me feel lonely".

"What about Ava?" Romeo asks as I take a seat in the chair beside the bed, my hand not leaving his.

"Oh yeah, we're doing fine. You guys are just such a perfect couple that you still make me feel lonely", I hear Romeo chuckle from beside me as I stand up.

"I'm going to go and see Hayden and Gabe, they're in the waiting room", I let go of his hand.

"What about Hayley?"

I sigh, "it's a long story. I'll tell you when I come back", he nods and grabs my arm, pulling me back to peck my lips before I leave.

"How'd it go?" They both stand as I approach them.

"Pretty good", I smile.

"Yeah?" They match my expression.

"Yeah. I was actually almost the reason we didn't get back together, honestly. I didn't think I'd be able to live with myself, but both him and Max gave me valid reasons on why I should take him back and so I did".

"Morgan!" I hear from behind me.

I turn to face her. "Ava?"

"Max called and told me what happened. Are you okay?" She holds her arms out for me to hug her.

I take a deep breath, walking into her open arms and wrapping my arms around her. "What did Max tell you?" I ask as I pull away.

"That Romeo got shot at work, so I came straight here", I pull her in for another hug before Max runs out.